Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Belgian Black IPA?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
irishplague
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Belgian Black IPA?

Anyone ever brewed a Belgian Black IPA? I have a black IPA recipe that I would like to ferment with a Belgian yeast, but I wanted to get some insight from someone who has done one before I delve in.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
sendkyleanemail
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Funny you should mention that! I have been working on a BBIPA recipe myself.

I am using a Belgian yeast in what is a fairly typical American BIPA recipe. Also using some dark Belgian candi syrup.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
irishplague
Recipes 

This is the recipe i'm looking to use:

10 lbs 2-row
1 lb crystal 40
8 oz carafa 11
4oz chocolate malt

2oz columbus 15 min
1 oz nugget 15 min
1 oz columbus flameout
1 oz galena dry hop
1oz nugget dry hop

looks like a good BIPA recipe, but I wanted to take the exta step to pitch Belgian yeast. Thoughts?

Old 02-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 680 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 266

isn't that recipe missing bittering hops? how you can have any type of IPA without 60-minute hops?

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 02-03-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
alexdagrate
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I made a Cascadian Dark Ale with Safbrew T-58. It tasted very weird, but in a good way.

Granted, I also made it with lots of rye, wet hops from my backyard, and also dry-hopped the hell out of it, so there was a lot going on, but it was still very good.

The peppery taste of the rye and the yeast were interesting together. There was some banana/bubble gum stuff that was weird. Lots of perplexed faces, but everyone I shared it with liked it.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:30 AM   #6
irishplague
Recipes 

sweetcell, the guy that I got the recipe from said that the amount of later hops brings the IBUs up to an appropriate level. I asked the same question, but he swore it worked. Am I getting duped?

Old 02-04-2012, 02:40 AM   #7
BrakeleyBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishplague View Post
sweetcell, the guy that I got the recipe from said that the amount of later hops brings the IBUs up to an appropriate level. I asked the same question, but he swore it worked. Am I getting duped?
Not being duped. It's called hop bursting. You get the bitterness IBUs along with hop flavor and aroma by using high alpha acid hops later in the boil. Just those two 15 minute additions will give you 64 IBU which is toward the higher end on an American IPA.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:43 AM   #8
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 342 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishplague View Post
People number fudge around with IBUs in software, but it's like driving your car a 1 mile stretch 10 times, and doing a single 10 mile stretch. They have different effects on your tires, engine, and gas mileage. You're going to have more general hop flavor by doing late additions, but there is a bitterness that you only get from a decent boil. It all comes down to how you like your IPA's.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:16 AM   #9
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 680 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teromous View Post
there is a bitterness that you only get from a decent boil.
this is in keeping with everything i've read - you can't extract and isomerize the alpha acids in 15 minutes.

i'm a relatively inexperienced brewer so take this opinion as "academic". don't have the experience to back it up... yet

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 02-04-2012, 07:30 AM   #10
Glossolalia
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Commercially, I'd say Grassroots/Stillwater/Mikkeller's Gypsy Juice is very close to what you're describing.

Quick Reply