Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Belgian beers, why do I not care for them?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 22

i'm not here to defend belgian beers, although there are many that i think are spectacular (rochefort 10, westvleteren 8, orval, drie fonteinen anything, cantillon are among my all time favorites) but it seems from your list that you have tried two belgian beers, and both from the same brewery?? branch out, try a couple others before you write off the whole country! or don't, there's lots of other good beer in the world

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #12
rayfound
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I LOVE belgians, but don't care as much for the Trippel... be sure to try a couple Dubbels and Strong Dark Ales (aka Quadrupel).

Maybe try some of the trappist/Abbey beers before writing off the whole category - Rochefort(8 or 10) and Chimay (Blue) are both widely available and make good examples. St Bernardus 12 is quite excellent also, though not a "trappist".

Ommegang Abbey ale and 3 Philosophers are great domestic examples of the styles.

BUUUUT.... I like the dry finsish/fruity undertones - that delicate/intricate flavor.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #13
EnjoyGoodBeer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockspeed31
Ok, I have tried a few different Belgian brews and can not get over the sharp sweet bite that they have, if that is a proper description. I tried a Homebrew Triple, a New Belgian Tripple, a Delirium Tremens and a Delirium Noel and they all have that "bite" to them that I just can't get over. I drink a large variety of beers and this style just doesn't suit me.

What is this taste/bite that I am tasting in these beers.

Thanks
Yeah dont care for them either, I can drink them but not a fan. Also I dont care for a sasion either. Pretty similar too.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #14
Chromebrew
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 14

i cant imagine anyone not enjoying a dubbel. i really cant.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #15
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Yep, there are definitely many to try, and many variations within a given style. I love Trippels and Golden Strongs, but hated La Chouffe, due to the Coriander in the beer.

Duvel and Chimay Grande Reserve (aka Blue) top my list of Belgian Beers, though I really enjoy Chimay White, Leffe Blonde, Ommegang Abbey Ale, and Delerium Tremes, as well.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 01-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #16
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 327 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromebrew View Post
i cant imagine anyone not enjoying a dubbel. i really cant.
As much as I love Belgians in general, and Chimay beers in particular, I really didn't care for the Chimay Red I had a couple months ago. Maybe I got a bad bottle, maybe I don't like that beer, or... gasp... the style.

Not sure yet.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 01-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #17
drainbamage
It'll getcha drunk!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 812

I've been a fan of Belgian beers for a long time, but I can understand why some people can't get into them. Most retain a distinct yeasty flavor, especially with a lot of them (most?) being bottle-conditioned.

That being said, there are so many different styles of beer available from Belgium, I would encourage you not to write them off altogether just yet.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #18
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Belgian beers cover many different styles. Pales, dubbels, tripels and BDSA's. Also within each style there wide differences. I like tripels, but given the choice I would take a BDSA over one. Belgians are a lot about the yeast. You can brew the same recipe and use 4 different yeast and have 4 different beers.

I love my Belgians and brew them often. Properly brewed and fermented you should not get hot alcohol tastes. If you are tasting hot alcohol flavor in home brewed versions of these styles, then they were not fermented right. Often the advice given ( from people that don 't brew Belgians) is to ferment them hot. This causes fusels that taste hot and give you a good headache.

They are mostly pretty high ABV brews so you cannot sit sown and have a bunch of them, so they are far from session beers.

That being said, if you don't like them, then don't drink them, but don't give up on Belgians because there are a couple that were not good examples of the style.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #19
aubiecat
Blake Owen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Yummy this thread made me go get a BDS out of the closet. Thanks OP!
I lied, I got two out of the closet.

Blake
Electric BIAB Build | BIAB Mesh False Bottom | Controller/Fermentation Chest

Old 01-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #20
m_stodd
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 38 Posts

I wouldn't want to drink one now, but that's because it's dark and cold out, and I'm not eating anything. If it's warm and sunny and I have something to eat, I'll take one down. I guess in that way they're like wine with me, I generally don't drink wine unless I'm eating something, or the weather agrees with it

Quick Reply