Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Belgian Beer Taste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2007, 01:49 AM   #1
NEPABREWER
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Belgian Beer Taste

Does anyone know what the taste is or what contributes to the taste of certain Belgian Style beers like "Merry Monk Ale" from Weyerbacher or Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic

Its a sour tangy flavor that I don't mind in small doses - the Merry Monks is ok if temp and carb level is right (I mix them up a little)

I recently had a Corsendonk Christman Ale that has very little or none of this flavor?
I want to brew some Belgian style ales soon and would like to minimize that flavor either with yeast selection, the ommision of sour components etc.

Conversely I would like spicy and complex - does a higher temp contribute to a more complex profile or just more fruity?

Has anyone done non-airlocked fermentations? ie cheese cloth on a bucket?

Thanks

Primary #1 too
Primary #2 busy
Secondary #1 with
Secondary#2 school
Secondary#3 to brew
Bottled and fine: Belgian spiced wheat
Bass Ale in the keg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2007, 02:18 AM   #2
trinitone

Recipes 

The yeast and bacteria used affect the flavor profile. Fermentation temps also affect the flavor profile. I would suggest reading Wild Brews by Jeff Sparrow and the article on Belgian beers in the Jan/Feb issue of BYO.

Secondary 2: Monk's Tripel...
Bottled: Dark Star Brown Ale, Watership Stout, Yet to be named cider

Well... a person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all.

This kind of an area is the best place for survival because you do have good, basically intelligent, hard working, decent people and they're all armed to the teeth... and that's my kind of people.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:25 AM   #3
Whelk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinitone
The yeast and bacteria used affect the flavor profile. Fermentation temps also affect the flavor profile. I would suggest reading Wild Brews by Jeff Sparrow and the article on Belgian beers in the Jan/Feb issue of BYO.

Yeah, the Belgians often use old wooden casks to ferment their beers, resulting in various off-tastes getting into the beer.

Nothing until I figure out if I can make it happen over in the UK.

Quick Reply