Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beginner Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2005, 07:25 PM   #1
rono73
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Beginner Question

Hi there. I recently brewed my first batch, a German Pilsner, and I did everything right except I didn't realize I needed to put water in the fermentation lock. After 4 days, I realized it and filled it up. I took a Hydrometer reading on day 4, 1.022, and on day 6 the reading is the same. The original gravity was 1.055, and the expected gravity from the recipe is 1.012. Did I screw up, or can I bottle it and age it a couple weeks for carbonation? Help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2005, 07:27 AM   #2
strat40
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Give it time...

[QUOTE=rono73]Hi there. I recently brewed my first batch, a German Pilsner, and I did everything right except I didn't realize I needed to put water in the fermentation lock. After 4 days, I realized it and filled it up. I took a Hydrometer reading on day 4, 1.022, and on day 6 the reading is the same. The original gravity was 1.055, and the expected gravity from the recipe is 1.012. Did I screw up, or can I bottle it and age it a couple weeks for carbonation? Help![/QUOT
I'd wait a couple weeks before I bottled. Your fermentation temp might be too low for the yeast variety, which would slow things way down. If the temp seems right, give it a taste. If it tastes sweet, you need more time. If it tastes fine, then let it set in the secondary for a week to drop clear, then bottle.
Hope this helps..

Old 01-11-2005, 08:29 PM   #3
Janx

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

Do what strat said...man, I want to take all the hydrometers away from all the new brewers. They just make you worry.

The only risk you run by not having water in the lock is that you'll get an infection. That usually is not reflected in the gravity readings.

Don't worry. Let it sit. Bottle when it stops bubbling if it tastes good.

Janx

Old 02-01-2005, 04:58 AM   #4
hoser

Recipes 

could be from unfermentable sugars??????????
I'm wondering too, as I am a newbie also. my stouts usually start at 1.045 and end up 1.020. I tend not to worry because I use plastic bottles and they seem forgiving with overcarbonation

Quick Reply