The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beers to try in Michigan?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #11
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 818 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMac View Post
Damn, I'm pissed about the Third shift amber ale and the Leinenkugel. It's ridiculous that even in my naive attempt to avoid the big names... I still end up buying them.

However, in their defense, I did enjoy the Third shift amber.

For whoever is wondering, the Stevens point cascade ale is decent... nothing spectacular. It had a lack of flavor and appeared to be water in comparison to the sierra nevada pale ale which I'd assume it is trying to model.

Has anyone tried Keweenaw brewing co. or library bar and restaurant? Thinking of checking that out sometime this week.

Thanks for the input! I'll look for all of these suggestions when I make it to the liquor store next.
Third Shift says "Coors Master Brewers" on the label

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #12
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

I've been to the Library and it's pretty good. We skipped Keewenau after some advice from friends. It's in the stores so you can try it cheaper than you can by visiting the taproom. I second Founders, Bells, Shorts (if you like weird stuff!). Right Brain will be hard to find. They are not close to Mich Tech and still pretty rare in bottles.

The Vierling in Marquette is a great place for food and beer. I doubt you will get over that way, but if by happenstance, you should check it out. There is also Blackrocks in Marquette. When I went there they were just starting out and could hardly keep up, therefore the beer was still very young and hardly clear at all, but the locals were still drinking it up like crazy it seemed. Hopefully they've caught up with demand and are able to brew on a better schedule. It's worth checking out too IMO. Small brewery in an old house.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I've had Keweenaw on Tap and in bottles. It's decent. Nothing exciting as some of our other Michigan Beers, but good solid drikers. I like the Cerveza, it's a good lawnmower beer on a hot day, especially with Mexican food.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #14
Ostomo517
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 184

On top of everything else I would look for Atwater Brewing Vanilla Java Porter and Winter Bock. And anything Brewery Vivant.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #15
dale1038
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

The Brewery Vivant Belgian Ipa is amazing. Certainly the best Belgian Ipa I've had.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMac View Post
Damn, I'm pissed about the Third shift amber ale and the Leinenkugel. It's ridiculous that even in my naive attempt to avoid the big names... I still end up buying them.

However, in their defense, I did enjoy the Third shift amber.

For whoever is wondering, the Stevens point cascade ale is decent... nothing spectacular. It had a lack of flavor and appeared to be water in comparison to the sierra nevada pale ale which I'd assume it is trying to model.

Has anyone tried Keweenaw brewing co. or library bar and restaurant? Thinking of checking that out sometime this week.

Thanks for the input! I'll look for all of these suggestions when I make it to the liquor store next.
Not really much for craft beer in the area, but KBC is fun in the tap room and the beer is "ok" but not great. It's underattenuated, and a bit sweet, and the college kids love it.

The Library is "ok" as well. Their hoppy beer, I think it's "Miner's something" is decent. Food is overpriced and decent as well.

I don't know if you can find Short's in a bottle shop (doubt it) but Bell's is good, and so is Founder's.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #17
fizgig
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Does vivant only make Belgians? That's all I've ever seen, very good though.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #18
dale1038
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizgig
Does vivant only make Belgians? That's all I've ever seen, very good though.
Looks that way from the website. I go to MI on vacation every year and the guys at the bottle shop know their stuff. They recommended that Triomphe Ipa. I was blown away.

I also stock up on Short's when I go up. Everything else I can get locally for cheaper.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #19
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Right Brain will be hard to find. They are not close to Mich Tech and still pretty rare in bottles.
I didn't realize that Right Brain bottled at all. I thought they were exclusively a tap room. Damn good beer though.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #20
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelanKA7 View Post
I didn't realize that Right Brain bottled at all. I thought they were exclusively a tap room. Damn good beer though.
I don't think they bottle yet. North Peaks yes, but unless now that they moved and are bottling, but it hasn't reached Detroit yet though.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply