Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beerfest ... the movie

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2006, 11:14 PM   #1
sailman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beerfest ... the movie

so exactly who is going to see it? ya know as beer drinkers it almost seems necessary..

it did rank #4 this week...

if you went.. was it any good?

Bottled: Cherry Wheat
Bottled: Raspberry Wheat
Bottled: Traditional Mead
Bottled: Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale

Fermentor (2): Common Cider

Secondary: Holiday Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2006, 11:23 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 130 Posts

I haven't seen it, but one of the women at Hop Madness said, "It was just stupid enough to be funny."

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-28-2006, 11:30 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

(sigh) Um, I don't think so. Not to be too beer-snobbish or anything, but...I'd wager that every single ounce of beer depicted in that movie has an SRM of no more than 1.0, and their names are probably succeeded by "Lite".

I saw the commercials, and it seemed like a Man-Show-esque lowbrow celebration of getting ripped on cheap mass-market beer, and seeing how insane things get. As such, I don't think it's necessary for homebrewers and appreciators of fine craft brew to see such a movie. That's like saying that wine connoisseurs would be obliged to see a movie about bums drinking MD 20/20 and Thunderbird.

Hell, I'd love to be proven wrong. I'd love to hear that "beerfest" was a quality comedy that portrayed beer drinkers in a positive light...but judging from the commercials, I highly doubt it. Looks like it's going to be yet another flick that furthers the stereotype of the beer drinker as an over-the-top drunkard who acts like a crazed frat boy all the time...and portrays beer as swill for the idiot masses. That's not what we need. I work part-part-time in a fine wine & beer shop, and I do everything in my power to elevate beer to at least somewhere in the neighborhood of wine as a fine beverage, and not just something to pour into a funnel and chug. Movies like this, they don't help.

There, that's my beer-snob-screed. Go see the flick if you want, but don't expect there to be any discussion about Original Gravity or fruity esters.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-29-2006, 12:44 AM   #4
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Don't mince words Evan!, tell us what you really think!

It's a product of Hollywood, RDWHAHB.

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:47 AM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Don't they go to Germany, though? Something about having to master Das Boot.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:56 AM   #6
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well, it looked dumb to me and judging by a sampling of reviews, some of which read funnier than the film probably is, I might be right:

Beerfest' goes flat fast
USA Today - Aug 24, 2006
Like Snakes on a Plane, Beerfest pretty much gives the plot away in the title. Unlike Snakes, Beerfest doesn't have Samuel L. Jackson going for it. Or snakes. ...

"Beerfest": Chug-a-lug, dummkopfs
Seattle Times, United States - Aug 25, 2006
The best joke in "Beerfest" is built around actor Jürgen Prochnow — the severe-looking star of a certain 1981 international hit film about a World War II ...

"Beerfest" a flat concoction
Reuters - Aug 24, 2006
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "Beerfest," as the title promises, is an alcohol-driven comedy about young and foolish men and a fondness for contests ...

The comedy goes flat in guy-focused 'Beerfest'
Detroit Free Press, United States - Aug 25, 2006
BY TERRY LAWSON. Paul Soter, left, and Erik Stolhanske play brothers-in-suds Jan and Todd Wolfhouse in "Beerfest." ...

Beerfest’ humor tastes flat
Boston Herald, United States - Aug 24, 2006
Ale-loving morons and liquor-guzzling idiots are the stars of ’’Beerfest,” a raunchy frat boy extravaganza that is about as funny as a hangover. ...

'Beerfest' is dregs of summer comedies
Boston Globe, United States - Aug 25, 2006
Making a comedy that celebrates binge drinking and cretinous behavior isn'ta crime against nature. Making one that's as brutally unfunny as ``Beerfest" is ...

'Beerfest' an Insult to Alcohol
OhmyNews International, South Korea...

My bet is, it did great box office this past weekend b/c a lot of college kids headed back to school and this gave them a break. I bet it's gone after next weekend and will be in your Lackluster Video store before Oktoberfest begins.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:59 AM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Entertainment Weekly kinda liked it, I think they gave it a "B+" as a stupid comedy that actually worked fairly well. I've tended to agree with most of their reviews (much moreso than for most other publications), so I take that as a pretty decent indication. I can't imagine convincing the wife that we should get a sitter to go see it, but the video store happens to be right next to the package store....

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:12 AM   #8
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Don't see it on torrent yet...probably see it when it appears.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 08-29-2006, 02:52 AM   #9
BeerLuvnGrl
Recipes 

well personally .. opinions are kinda like.. well i wont go there.. its not like we were being serious.. its as if you dont think that we as "beer drinkers" cannot have fun..we have to have our thumb up our prestigious butts all the time as if we are better than the world because we homebrew.. thats not how i see it..

In reality i homebrew because i enjoy it.. i like the craft ... i enjoy drinking what i brew...i like the flavors, the variety, the spice of life..and if you dont.. well then maybe you need to find a craft in which you can truly enjoy and not have such an air about yourself and not be quite so serious that one movie may turn the whole world against beer drinkers..

see what others think of me doesnt bother me...there are those out there that may not think much of me because im a woman who loves beer..who loves to brew beer and who loves to drink beer.. do i care? NO..

i dont mean to come across as nasty..but i also dont like the assumption that just because there may be a movie out there that appeared to be funny and someone thought it would be "witty" to post about it on a site of LOTS of beer drinkers...that there is any thoughts that homebrewers or beer drinkers in the world are portrayed in any way...

i carry myself with respect where ever i may be.. whether with a group of "lite" beer drinkers or a group of homebrewers.. because all in all its not what i brew or how i brew it.. or what i watch or where i go.. but WHO I AM that matters...

that just in my "own" personal opinion.... and Dude (or any other moderators..) if this in inappropriate in any way.. feel free to delete it.. however i felt the need to vent..

it get a little uptight when ASSUMED that one thing was meant and it WASNT!

(in reality i probably wouldnt go to the theater to see it ..because well i couldnt sit back, relax and have a homebrew while i laughed at it.. )

Bottled: Raspberry Overload (wheat)
Bottled: Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale
Bottled: Holiday Cheer (belgian wheat)

Fermentor: Traditional Mead
Fermentor (2): Common Apple Cider
Secondary: Holiday Cider
Secondary (2): Common Apple Cider

Up Next: Heffenweizer

Old 08-29-2006, 04:28 AM   #10
Reverend JC
2500 gallons year to date