Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > beer and weight

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2010, 07:16 AM   #1
400d
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default beer and weight

I am constantly hearing two different theories from people (mostly beer drinkers) on beer and it's relation with gaining body weight.

Since none of them are nutritionists I would like to know what is the effect of every day beer drinking (pint or two) on body weight. I know some really overweight people who drink regularly, but I also know some people who drink much, but they are really slim....

I read somewhere that beer is consisted of so called "dead calories" (whatever that means) and that it doesn't affect gaining weight...

Any thoughts on this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
Pick
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Weight gain/loss is simple math. Calories in vs calories out. For example, I have been tested and I burn 2300 calories a day at rest. So if I take in 3000 calories a day and do nothing, I will gain weight. Or vice versa. 3500 calories is a pound.

Most of my brews are around 175 calories.

Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2: Empty
Keg 1: Empty
Keg 2: Drinking Ed Wort's Apfelwein 3.5.10
Keg 3: Empty
Keg 4: Empty
Keg 5: Empty

Old 03-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
400d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick View Post
Weight gain/loss is simple math. Calories in vs calories out. For example, I have been tested and I burn 2300 calories a day at rest. So if I take in 3000 calories a day and do nothing, I will gain weight. Or vice versa. 3500 calories is a pound.

Most of my brews are around 175 calories.

how do you calculate calories in your beer?

Old 03-19-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2144 Times on 1533 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

Yep the math is simple, more calories in, more exercise needed to "burn" it off. Since I got a sit-down job my weight has gone up significantly. That is why an exercise bike is on my shopping list for tax return season. So I can drink beer without guilt.

Some people just burn more calories not doing much, while others really have to work hard to keep their weight down.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
kornbread
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Another aspect to the equation is that the alcohol in beer actually slows your metabolism down. I've known a few drinkers in my day that claim that they are switching to liquor in order to loose weight. You are saving calories but if you don't exercise and you still eat the same amount each day you'll still gain weight.

I guess the best way to do it would be to count your calories but, give your "beer calories" a few extra points.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #6
slowbie
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400d View Post
how do you calculate calories in your beer?
Beersmith does it, and here is an online calculator that also works.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #7
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Beer is anything but dead calories, since there are plenty of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and other substances in there that can, when consumed in moderation, have a positive effect on overall health.

But, of course, alcohol is a major contributor to calories - 7 per gram. So if you have more than a couple of drinks per day without cutting out calories elsewhere or exercising, you quickly start gaining weight.

Estimating calories in beer is fairly easy. Beersmith does this automatically based on the original and final gravities. A standard 12-plato beer is somewhere in the 190 to 210 calories range.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 03-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #8
KFBass
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

As somebody who has lost some weight (not alot, but a significant percentage considering im a relatively small dude) I can weigh in a bit on this. College I drank alot, and ate terribly. Since changing my diet (portion control, and making sure i have one of every food group, emphasis on protein), and living a more active life (2-3days a week in the gym, run about 20k a week) I have lost about 30lbs, and still continue to drink beer.

The main things you are getting from beer is high calories, considering its over 100 perbottle, and a high amount of carbs. Balance that with a protein heavy diet, and an active lifestyle and you can stay relatively fit while still enjoying.

One of the worst, and best, things about beer is the fact that it goes so damn well with unhealthy food. Simple swaps at the bar can lead to some good things. Maybe opt for something not deep fried next time? Grilled chicken burger is always a good call, with a garden salad. Think of all the beer you can have with the calories you didnt consume...

Old 03-19-2010, 03:11 PM   #9
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Individuals metabolisims have to be considered.

I drink 8 beers a day. I'm 5-11 and 160 pounds. I don't pig out and I don't do junk food.

What people call a BEER GUT is actually a Meat and Potatoes gut. Mixing a lot of starch and protein makes one fat.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:28 PM   #10
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 299 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Dead calories means low in nutritional value when compared to the amount of calories and carbs. Beer really isn't that high in calories though. Around 100 -300 calories per 12 oz bottle.

Like was said above, beer isn't as empty of calories as white bread, potatoe chips, or candy bars.

But one thing to consider is there isn't any fiber in beer. So all the carbs get metabolized.

When you calculate how many carbs you are eating you can subtract the grams of fiber from the grams of carbs because fiber is not digestible.

So when you are trying to lose weight, you want to make sure the carbs you eat come with lots of fiber.

On deck: Apple Honey Ale, Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Malt Liquor, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Quick Reply