Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer Wars: The Movie

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2009, 01:02 AM   #21
Smurfe
I Pull It By Hand!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonedef131 View Post
Man, they really make BMC out to be the anti-christ. They are just selling people what they want...that's like blaming McDonalds for people liking hamburgers.
I have to really disagree with this as well. They aren't selling what you like, they are telling you what you like. For years there was no competition. Why did all the available American beers taste almost identical? Now that the Craft Beer industry has put a small dent in their profits and have shown they are here to stay and continue to grow, the big boys are fighting back to maintain market share. Really easy to see. Hell, AB buys every craft brewery label they can it seems now days.

On a side note, I live in Bud Lite country and the local AB distributor here doesn't make an effort to market, or lets say train their route people about their "craft" beers. When the Michelob and Budweiser craft brews came out I was in the local, evil, Wal Mart looking for it. The Bud guy was there and I asked him about it. He said "We are in the south, this is Bud Light country, No one drinks Ales here, we don't stock our low line products here. You have to go to Albertson's or a Specialty Beer Shop where the Yuppies shop. I just smiled and walked away. BTW, I walked around the corner and there was an end cap with the sample 20 pack cases of the Michelob not 20 feet from the dufas delivery dude.

I have my tickets and can't wait to see the show. We actually have a few fine craft breweries here. Abita is local for me and rules the craft brew scene here. We have a few others and actually had a new brewery, NOLA Brewery, roll out their first run a couple days ago. I haven't got to try it yet but reports sound good. We are working hard to change the beer scene here. We have a BJ's, a Gordon Bierch, and a few other small brew pubs. New Orleans get most of the stuff over Baton Rouge but I live between the two so I get the best of both worlds in our anemic at the present market. Hope I see a few other Baton Rouge beer drinkers at Perkins Rowe theater.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2009, 01:13 AM   #22
TexasSpartan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfe View Post
I have to really disagree with this as well. They aren't selling what you like, they are telling you what you like. For years there was no competition. Why did all the available American beers taste almost identical? Now that the Craft Beer industry has put a small dent in their profits and have shown they are here to stay and continue to grow, the big boys are fighting back to maintain market share. Really easy to see. Hell, AB buys every craft brewery label they can it seems now days.
Here in Texas, AB has Zeigenbock, brewed and marketed only in Texas to compete with Shiner Bock. Is AB that scared of a brewery in a town of 2,000 people in south Texas that they have to try brew up a beer only for Texas to compete?

Keg 1: Falconer's Flight IPA
Keg 2: Honey Jalapeno Saison

Old 03-06-2009, 01:25 AM   #23
Smurfe
I Pull It By Hand!

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSpartan View Post
Here in Texas, AB has Zeigenbock, brewed and marketed only in Texas to compete with Shiner Bock. Is AB that scared of a brewery in a town of 2,000 people in south Texas that they have to try brew up a beer only for Texas to compete?
States my point exactly. Why would they care about such a small market. Any public held corporations duty is to maximize shareholders wealth plain and simple, Nothing else. Evidently that small brewery in that small market (wait, nothings small in Texas!) must be turning a profit or is being used to enable other products to enter the region.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:35 AM   #24
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'll just quote myself here instead of typing out the same reply I did on the last page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfe View Post
Quote:
Sure they might be using "attacks" to keep one leg up on the competition but all they have done is follow market trends. The American people demanded lighter beers decades ago and that is what they provided. Now the trends are moving more towards craft beer and they are once again following right along.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:37 AM   #25
babalu87
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Man, they really make BMC out to be the anti-christ. They are just selling people what they want...that's like blaming McDonalds for people liking hamburgers.
Choo choo trains, hot chicks in bikinis and retired sport stars?

Old 03-06-2009, 01:54 AM   #26
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by babalu87 View Post
Choo choo trains, hot chicks in bikinis and retired sport stars?
That's their advertising, not their product. I never said their advertising was great, or that I like what it does to the image of beer. I simply said they are supplying the product that the majority of consumers want.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:54 AM   #27
Smurfe
I Pull It By Hand!

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I'll just quote myself here instead of typing out the same reply I did on the last page.
OK, after reading that I see where you are coming from and agree. That explains your statement clearly. I don't see the big boys as evil. Just doing their jobs. The people want variety and they have started to provide it. Like I said, their job is to maximize investor wealth and the market has been proven. I give them a chance and try their products. I haven't been too impressed yet. Not because of who made it, but rather it just wasn't that good. To be fair, I have tasted a whole lot of small craft brews that weren't very good either. I still feel they believe they feel they have been forced into this market or they would of dove in a few years back. It is only after the loss of significant market share that they move on.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:11 PM   #28
RandalG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Beer Wars Movie

I did a search and didn’t see anything and I’m not sure even sure where to put this so if the mods want to move it feel free. This is a one day only documentary playing at select theaters about the beer industry. Micro against macro with interviews from many well known people in the biz. Looks interesting so I thought I’d pass it along. I’m going with a few buddies to check it out. You can see a trailer here as well as some other info.

Beer Wars Movie

Old 03-30-2009, 08:28 PM   #29
Jon_Smith
Recipes 

i got my ticket. I am pretty psyched!

Old 03-30-2009, 08:31 PM   #30
Tonedef131
Recipes