Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer turns to foam in mouth

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
celticinnbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beer turns to foam in mouth

I made a batch of the White House Honey Ale. It was really great... for about a week. Now whenever I drink any of it, the beer turns to foam in my mouth immediately. I can't drink it because by the time you swallow it isn't liquid.

Is this just a result of over carbonation? I don't have any problems with too much foam when I open the bottles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Are you drinking it out of the bottle? It sounds like you are and it is either over carbed or infected.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2268 Times on 1975 Posts
Likes Given: 1700

I was just remembering having that same experience with cheap soda pop. I was speculating that the excess carbonation was reacting with the amylase enzymes in our saliva?...

Old 01-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
celticinnbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Yeah, I usually drink it straight out of the bottle. When I pour in a glass, it does produce quite a bit of head. More than I'd like, but I'd still expect the beer to settle down and remain liquid when I try to drink it.

I don't think the batch is infected. At least, it doesn't smell bad and it doesn't taste bad either (as good as foam can taste). It was great for a couple days, so I'm guessing it just over carbonated?

Old 01-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
twalte
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I never drink from a bottle (I don't drink wine straight from the bottle either) You want to get the carbonation out of the liquid so that you are not delivering straight to your stomach. You will find that you not only have more room for beer, but you will pick up more of the taste from the beer when you have done a proper pour. Not only is the glass important, but the style of glass also plays a major role in the taste of the beer. (Belgian restaurants have been known to refuse to serve brands when the appropriate glassware is not stocked)

Here is more info...you will definitely enjoy your beer more from a glass.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/pour

Here is how different styles of glassware affect the taste and aroma of beer
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/glassware.php

"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Norie_ Likes This 
Old 01-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Do you like yeast in every sip of your beer? I imagine not. Drink it out of a glass with some respect for the beer you made.

Anyways, what was the FG? How much priming sugar did you use? Did you add it per bottle or to the batch as a whole?

Old 01-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 325

it sounds like they're overcarbonated if you get too much head when pouring into a glass (which you should be doing anyway). Make sure your beers hit an appropriate FG and check the volume of beer and amt of priming sugar next time to avoid this in the future.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 01-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2268 Times on 1975 Posts
Likes Given: 1700

Foaming can also happen to beers that aren't chilled long enough to get the co2 into solution. The excess co2 in the head space can act as a nucleation point,causing the foam.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #9
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 614 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 515

If you made it from a kit, it's unlikely that you primed with too much sugar, but it could be that you didn't hit your FG before bottling. That would effectively mean additional sugars being converted in the bottle, leading to over-carbonation.

But yes, agreed with everyone about not drinking from the bottle. I hate wasting beer, but leaving that last sip in the bottle at the end of the pour improves the quality of the whole pint.

Bottled/Drinking: Apfelwein, Leaping Goats Coffee Brown Ale (v1 & v2), Anniversary Barleywine, High Ground Gose, Vanilla Rhubarb Mead, Sour Blackberry Cider, Dos Caldera Porter (plain & whiskey versions), Evolution of Funk (Vol. 1)
Primary/Secondary: Evolution of Funk (Brett Saison mini-solera), BRB Melomel, Red River (Flanders) Red, Wild Cider, Frankencyser

Old 01-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #10
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGBC View Post
If you made it from a kit, it's unlikely that you primed with too much sugar
If he boiled off too much or lost a lot in racking, he could have ended up with less beer than the kit anticipates causing overpriming.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Quick Reply