Awesome suggestions! Thank you all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #12
phenry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I'd suspect it's something with your water as well if your thermometer isn't a culprit. I'm a big fan of the Bru'n Water spreadsheet, as it gives pretty reliable mash pH estimations in my experience. Though I'm not sure why you'd be experiencing a prominent alcohol bite at 6% and those cool fermentation temps. Since you're using S-05, maybe try bumping up ferment temps to 65-68*F and see if that helps round out the flavor? That's just pure speculation at this point, I've personally never used S-05 at temps that low so I can't speak of how it performs differently, if at all.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #13
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

What yeast are you using? Some are known to give a dry tasting finish - even at higher FG. There is a brewpub my wife and I went to , and there was something in almost all of the beers that my wife didn't like - to dry. We asked and were told they used the same English ale yeast (WLP 007) for all of their beers. This years is known for producing dry finishes in beers. The yeast can also do the opposite. I find beers brewed WLP 566 will almost always taste a bit on the sweet side, even in beers with NO crystal malts and a FG of ~1.006

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 01-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #14
harrymanback92
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Personally, I doubt it's your water. What was your IBU?

If you have a very high IBU for your gravity range it may come across as too hoppy.

Also, you could be mashing low which is gonna make a dry beer, I've read lagunitas mashed at 158.

I'm in the Gordon Strong camp, he says, and I believe, that the last thing you should tweak is your water.

Just my two cents.

Primary:Farmhouse Triple, Simcoe Session IPA, 100% Brett Brux IPA
Conditioning: Willamette English Pale Ale

Old 01-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #15
Paulgs3
Yeast Buddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymanback92 View Post
Also, you could be mashing low which is gonna make a dry beer, I've read lagunitas mashed at 158.
I was surprised to read about SN mashing at 155 for SNPA!!

My IBUs are not that bad, I shoot for a 0.7 IBU/SG for my APA and .9 for the IPAs. The hops profile is dead on for what I was shooting for, there is just a "hot alcohol" taste even on my 5% beer that is still there after many weeks of conditioning.

I've done combos of my own recipes as well as store kits for the holidays and they all have the hot alcohol taste in them. Its like I'm drinking hoppy moonshine (overstatement, its very subtle but now that I know its there is screaming to me). Its like my balance is off.

Unfortunately my pH papers suck I need a better test kit. Its hard to tell the difference between 5 and 6 with what I have. I'll try a side by side and drink the test subjects!! I'll do one at a higher temp, and one I'll try to keep better eye on my pH.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #16
harrymanback92
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Maybe your fermentor is getting really hot during fermentation creating fusel alcohols?

Primary:Farmhouse Triple, Simcoe Session IPA, 100% Brett Brux IPA
Conditioning: Willamette English Pale Ale

Old 01-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #17
Paulgs3
Yeast Buddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Chest freezer w/temp controller. I'll play this weekend, supposed to be 65 this sat thanks to global warming!! My winter stock is about exhausted anyways.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:31 PM   #18
Paulgs3
Yeast Buddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Brew day!! I love brew day.

My pH was actually good. My mash was coming out between 5.0 and 5.2 (hard to tell with the strips). My sparge runnings were between 5.6 and 5.8.

One thing I did notice is I had a hard time with my temp, I was shooting for 152, did everything right, but I hit 150. I added water to comp and mix the heck out of it but my tun was filled to the brim. I noticed since I was using multiple thermometers (NIST) that the bottom of my mash tun was actually 2 degrees colder. Not sure if I'm not mixing enough, of it it was because it was over filled leading me to not mix enough, or if it is a design flaw (converted 10g igloo).

Last thing I'm going to toss out is maybe I'm not rinsing the oxyclean off my equipment adequately. What kind of flavor would oxy contribute?

Old 01-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #19
cooper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Use Oxyclean to clean and rinse the equipment really well but use StarSan to sanitize.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #20
Paulgs3
Yeast Buddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

So you for those following my path of madness, debauchery, and consumption... I have discovered the root of my evil!!

I'm embarrassed to admit, my folly was conditioning. I had a keg that had the "taste" and I pulled it out of rotation. Forgot about her for an additional month, spanked her back into the tap and it tastes absolutely wonderful.

I'm kinda new with the >8% beers and lesson learned. Conditioning time is critical. Thanks for all the suggestions and the help. The answer was much easier than we all thought.

Quick Reply