Beer too cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
I came across a thread where multiple people mention they keep their beer above 40 degrees. I was always under the impression the folder the better. Any thoughts on this?

Different beer styles have different preferred serving temperatures. For example, a nice light American Adjunct Ale might have a colder serving temperature than a big thick Russian Imperial Stout. Serving temperature is about bringing as much flavor and aroma out of your beer.

IMHO it depends on the beer. Generally if the brew is warmer then more flavor will come out.

Different beer styles have different preferred serving temperatures. For example, a nice light American Adjunct Ale might have a colder serving temperature than a big thick Russian Imperial Stout. Serving temperature is about bringing as much flavor and aroma out of your beer.

+1

Some people take the approach of storing and serving at cellar temperature. We all have vary different houses and space for what can and can not be done.

For me beers are in the garage fridge, when I take one out I just let it warm up a bit in bottle on the counter before opening and pouring/serving.

I keep my beer pretty cold (32-34° F). I figure it warms up a bit while I'm enjoying it, so by the end of the glass, it tastes even better than when I started.

However, if I stored it at 40° F, such that it was already that temperature when I started the glass, then by the end of the glass it'd be practically room temperature, which IMHO is not nearly as enjoyable.

I prefer warmer temps - say, 40-48. For some cask ales and stouts I enjoy it into the 50s.

This is very much a matter of preference, because at a given temperature you will experience a different range of flavors in your beer.

I'm sure you'll find a variety of opinions and probably correct answers, but I bookmarked this link once and you may find it helpful.
Serving Temperature Guide

I'd be interested in chilling a BMC and see if I actually care for it. I feel like it is odd that I can't stomach something like Budweiser.

Ya come to think of it I should probably turn my up a little too, I have it set to 38 but it's a keezer and cools from the bottom so often the beer is actually colder. It does warm up as I drink it which changes the profile so it's like going on a journey... :)

I was of the impassion that ALL beer should be ice cold until one faithful night I was drinking beer, as the beer warmed up I noticed a ton of flavors I had not before. As stated some beers are best served freezing cold, bud and miller for example while others need to be in the 40's and 50's. I keep my beer fridge at about 40degF this is MY preferred temp for a good tasting IPA, I tend to drink slower than others so I like to start out a bit cold so by the end of the glass it's not warm.

I like cold beer, but I serve at 44F, which goes into a glass that weighs 1-2oz, which is itself 80-90F, so it's a bit warmer than 44 at its coldest. Even on a 110F day, 44 is plenty cold for me. I like to enjoy the beer as it warms.

After a hot day outside I want a COLD drink. I've been know to put ice in my beer when the weather is really HOT. But normal temp in my refer is about 35* and it warms up sitting in the glass as I drink. But on a really HOT DAY here in Hawai`i it's hard to beat cold Dr. Pepper over a glass full of ICE. :)

Yea, I definitely get in moods where I'd rather down a half gallon of ice cold soda than a craft beer. Not so great for the gut, but a nice diversion.

I love enjoying most beers at 45. Some at 55. The only thing that I'm drinking under 45 is a bud light by the pool and it better be as close to freezing as possible.

Most people do tend to over chill. It still seems weird to go into a beer cave and pick out beer bottles that are only chilled, but it does typically taste better. It's partially what makes it taste best and what the style will accommodate. A lighter beer doesn't seem to lose as much with over chilling as a heavy beer.

Actually a bar I know of got in trouble with one of their beer reps for temperature shinanigans. They were going through tons of Coors kegs and not much of anything else. Turns out they had kegs of Coors that they'd serve at different temperatures and pass it off as Bud, Bud Light, Miller, etc. If you change the serving temp you can drastically change the flavor.

It's a real shame though when someone charges $5 a pint for a good beer but chills it to the point of freezing then serves it in a frosted glass and you don't get any of the flavor and aroma you paid so dearly for :p

At a restaraunt, I have to ask for a non chiled glass.

If ALL glasses are chilled, I ask them to re-use my same one for the next beer.

At a restaraunt, I have to ask for a non chiled glass.

If ALL glasses are chilled, I ask them to re-use my same on for the next beer.

Crafty. I'm using that. My first Switchback Porter was in a glass that was literally icy... the waitress was really proud of it when I asked her what the hell was wrong with my glass.

Crafty. I'm using that. My first Switchback Porter was in a glass that was literally icy... the waitress was really proud of it when I asked her what the hell was wrong with my glass.

They will look at you like you are crazy. All of the BMC drinkers asking for colder glasses and here comes some wierdo who has it BACKWARD.

Don't try to explain, just demand it and stare at your hands until they comply.

I like cold beer, but I serve at 44F, which goes into a glass that weighs 1-2oz, which is itself 80-90F, so it's a bit warmer than 44 at its coldest. Even on a 110F day, 44 is plenty cold for me. I like to enjoy the beer as it warms.

Sorry daksin, I’ve got to call you on the 1-2 oz part. I just weighed some plain ol’ pint shaker glasses and they are all a bit more than 400g. If you meant 1-2 oz more than the beer, that is correct. If your glass is 80F, I calculate the beer would heat up to 50.6F.

Personally, I like my beer below 50F. I keep my beer and glasses at 40F and use a cool glass for the first pour.

They will look at you like you are crazy. All of the BMC drinkers asking for colder glasses and here comes some wierdo who has it BACKWARD.

Just offer the others a test of what tastes better, their BMC at a warmer temp or your choice of beer.

Just offer the others a test of what tastes better, their BMC at a warmer temp or your choice of beer.

Alas it is the waitress or bar tender who thinks I have it backward and shakes their head.

After all the PILLARS of beer quality and taste are ICE COLD, and.....less filling or something...

I do the re-use the glass thing everywhere they serve from chilled/frosted/iced over glasses. I used to drink a bottled stout in one pub that had their coolers so cold the bottles would have ice on them have them so I would have the bartender pull the second one out when they opened the first one and the pull the third one out when they opened the second etc.

DAMMIT...not to jack this thread, but SOME places have fricking ICE all over the glass and you end up with icecicles watering down your beer!!!!:cross:

*truth be told, when it is the mexican place selling me cheap mexican lager with a lime in it....I tend to not complain;)*

"ma'am i done come in hurr for a beer in a warm glass an' i ain't leavin till somebody up an' serves me one"

Yea i was served a Guinness stout in a frozen glass the other night at Olive Garden.

I am still very new to brewing and have my first beer ready to open this weekend. I was reading that you should put your beer in the fridge for 48 hours before opening to let the sediment settle. Would I do that then let it warm up again? Or would I just not put it in the fridge? And if I put it in the fridge and let it warm would that mess with letting the sediment settle?

Chill it to get the yeast to settle, then pour carefully into a room temperature glass, leaving the sediment behind. Then wait until it has warmed to the desired temperature, in the glass. Or better yet, sip it slowly and pay attention to how the flavour changes as it gradually warms up.

My beer cooler is set at 33F, for a number of different reasons..

Firstly, I also store a lot of BMC. That has to be ice cold to drink.

Secondly, I also store a lot of bottled water and Gatorade in it. Saves on room in the fridge, and it adds to the thermal mass.

Thirdly, SWMBO stores seeds in one of the baskets.

Fourthly, and like a lot of others have pointed out, you can let your beer sit and warm up before drinking. Honestly, I think personal preference should supersede what some chart dictates serving temps should be. That, and if I have four radically different styles on tap, I don't have the time, money or ambition to segregate "temperature zones" within my beer cooler. It's easier to just set it and forget it.

Fifthly, I'm not a fan of warm beer. While it doesn't have to be ice-cold, there is nothing more disgusting to me than a room temperature beer. Except maybe room temperature water. Or room temperature anything. Hot or cold, please.

YMMV.

I too think this is personal preference. If I'm drinking a bomber I will take it out for a minute or two, pour it, then leave it on the counter. By the time I finish I'm drinking a pretty warm beer but I like it.

Back