Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer temp changes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
hoaxci5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Beer temp changes

I've read some articles, but just want to be clear. Temp fluctuation will change the taste of beers but will not overall hurt it correct?

I'm talking about taking some beer from my keg which is carbed and tasting delicious, and bottling it. Then letting the bottles go back to room temp for any period of time prior to chilling and drinking at a later date.

Do it or don't?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 314 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't believe it will last long like that. If you want to have it in bottles you should bottle some prior to kegging the batch.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:38 PM   #3
JJL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Try reading this thread. It might help. I don't know what kind of equipment you have, or what process you are going to use, but it looks like the short answer is that it can be done without harming the beer.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-n...eer-gun-24678/

Old 05-14-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
hoaxci5
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That "beer gun" setup is what I use, but it talks about putting the bottles in the fridge. I don't have that much extra space, so I was hoping to store them back at room temp for a while.

All of the skunking articles that I read said that is only a factor caused by light and not by temp. I just want some more real world examples and someone to hold my hand and say yes it will be fine so I don't waste a bunch of good beer

Old 05-15-2010, 02:33 AM   #5
02fx4dude
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm doing a similar process to what you want to do and had the same questions. I have tried some short term testing but nothing definitive. I had a cream ale I force carbed in the keg at 36 degrees, bottled, and set some on the shelf for about a month. I put the bottles back in the fridge for a week and tried them and I couldn't tell the difference between the ones I put on the shelf and the ones I kept in the fridge.

I've been told avoid higher storage temps, such as higher than 80 degrees when storing any beer. One person I spoke to seemed to think the warmer temps could allow the yeast to create esters or other off flavors if there is still some unfermented sugars to consume.

I also wouldn't store any wheat beers for any period of time as they seem to be best when fresh, not aged.

Quick Reply