Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer Stores in Cincinnati

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2008, 05:16 PM   #11
BrewWench
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ooooh, actually, I've had expiration date issues at Party Source. Look at the dates regardless of where you are.

And Jungle Jim's is a great experience - you gotta use the Porta-potties by the beer selection - trust me MrFebtober used to mow lawns for "Jungle Jim" and he is a very eccentric and funny man, and his store is very cool.

Both the Party Source and Hofbrauhaus are right off I-471, I believe the very first exit after crossing the bridge into Kentucky. Make a left and then another before you get to the Newport parking garage, and the Hof is right there at the top of a hill and they have a big parking lot. For the Party Source you'd make a right off that exit and it will be on your right side at a traffic light.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2008, 06:16 PM   #12
BrewDey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd say Jungle Jim's and the Party Source are close selection-wise...but shopping at Jungle Jims is an experience to say the least. The Hoffbrahaus in Newport (right by the P.S.) is great-and be sure to try some Barrelhouse, Moerlein, Skyline Chili, and Graeters ice cream while you're here.

Unfortunately-I'll be out of town for a (stupid) wedding-and I'm pretty sure I have my 1st infected batch in 10 months (boo!)...still, I hope you guys all enjoy our fair city-Cincinnati is far from perfect-but we sure love our beer.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:22 PM   #13
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

A big thanks to all the Cinci folks who have chimed in!

We should be getting Barrelhouse and Morlein at Pro-Brewer's night...do you have any favorites we should seek out from them?

Old 06-17-2008, 06:40 PM   #14
adrock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'll stand corrected on the selection disparity issue between Party Source and Jungle Jim's........it's entirely possible I missed a part of the beer section at Jungle Jim's, 'cause SWMBO has got me running all over the store looking for exotic ingredients for dinner.

On the topic of Christian Moerlein beer, I highly suggest Moerlein O.T.R. (Over-the-Rhine) Ale. It's a pale ale with a distinct roasted barley taste. I think it's fantastic, and it's my current session brew of choice. You can't go wrong with the original lager either, which btw was the first american-produced lager to CERTIFIABLY pass the Reinheitsgebot (German beer purity law).

Incidentally, if anyone coming to Cincy is looking for a good small bar to enjoy some peace and quiet while drinking a brew or 10, my favorite is the B-List in Bellevue, KY. Owned partially by an Irish-American, it's the only place I've found outside of some Irish specialty pubs that serves Guinness the right way at the right temperature.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:44 PM   #15
BrewWench
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I haven't been too impressed with Barrelhouse yet, but anything from Moerlein is good! They have a Helles (caramelly but light), Over-The-Rhine Pale Ale (NICE hop flavor!), Barbarossa (a dark lager - my favorite), and Emancipator (a doppelbock). And they make the infamous (from the old Hudepohl Brewery) Hudy Light now as well.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:48 PM   #16
BrewWench
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

adrock - there are still sixers of the original lager out, but they are replacing that with their Munich Helles. Mr and I served Moerlein beer at a brewfest where they tapped the Helles for the first time, as a replacement. I don't know why - they are quite different beers.

And we still have OTR on draft here at the house Might pour me one in a few... I probably live like, 3 blocks from you or something and we don't even know it

Old 06-17-2008, 06:57 PM   #17
adrock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

BrewWench, you're tempting me to go knocking door-to-door until i find your place. If you have OTR on tap, it'd be well worth it.

I heard they were discontinuing the original Moerlein Lager, but I didn't realize it was already happening. That's disappointing to me; every brand needs a flagship product, and few beer brands have the histor of Christian Moerlein Lager.

Seriously though me, you, and Mr Febtober should get together and drink a beer or two sometime. At the B-List perhaps?

Old 06-17-2008, 07:00 PM   #18
BrewDey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd say my favorite Barrelhouse brews are the Red Leg (American Red)-very malty and flavorful...and the Dortmunder is awesome as well...the Boss Cox IIPA is pretty intense.

Moerlein just came out with the Lager House Helles which is close to the original that they turned out in the later part of the 1800's (the 1st American beer to follow the RHGB). The OTR is a fantastic Pale as well. Was not that impressed with the Barbarossa (Dunkel)-but have only tried it once.

If you're romping around, I'd suggest Nicholson's on Walnut (Scottish bar-tons of great brews)...Arnold's on 8th has great beer and is the oldest bar in the city...and the Northside Tavern is just one of my personal faves.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:04 PM   #19
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Anyone care to hit this Columbus thread?
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=68650

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 06-17-2008, 07:11 PM   #20
BrewWench
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrock View Post
BrewWench, you're tempting me to go knocking door-to-door until i find your place. If you have OTR on tap, it'd be well worth it.

I heard they were discontinuing the original Moerlein Lager, but I didn't realize it was already happening. That's disappointing to me; every brand needs a flagship product, and few beer brands have the histor of Christian Moerlein Lager.

Seriously though me, you, and Mr Febtober should get together and drink a beer or two sometime. At the B-List perhaps?
LOL. "Are you BrewWench? Do you have beer?" We live just a block from St. Thomas church. We'd love to get together! Mr is in New York all week, but I'd like to get together with some local people tonight or something, maybe. Yooper is at a hotel in Cincy now too. I've never been to that bar in Bellevue - do they have good food?

I didn't realize the history of the Original Lager. That's pretty kickass!

Quick Reply