Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer-spoiling bacteria

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #1
beeruser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beer-spoiling bacteria

Are beer-spoiling bacteria a problem? I have found a company that analyses beer-spoiling bacteria in beer:

http://www.vermicon.com/en/en/produc...ct.html?lID=57

Does anybody have experience with this kind of method?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2010, 03:00 AM   #2
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

If you are sure of your sanitizing, you will be fine. I haven't had any batch infected unintentionally in over 10 years of brewing. There aren't a whole lot of bacteria strains that can actually survive in beer, so it all goes back to sanitation.

I'd be willing to bet that the amount you would pay to have your sample analyzed by this company would far exceed the cost of your batch. rdwhahb.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:40 AM   #3
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Something going on now with one of my beers bottled a few months back. Great beer (schwarzbier); scored very well at NHC regionals a few weeks ago. Cracked a couple this week and there is a horrible off flavour now.

*going to crack one to be sure*

Yep, it's like a terrible ethanol flavour or something. Guess the batch is ruined. Shame 'cuz it's arguaby my best brew to date. Wonder what got into it?

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 05-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
beeruser
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidhomebrewer View Post
If you are sure of your sanitizing, you will be fine. I haven't had any batch infected unintentionally in over 10 years of brewing. There aren't a whole lot of bacteria strains that can actually survive in beer, so it all goes back to sanitation.

I'd be willing to bet that the amount you would pay to have your sample analyzed by this company would far exceed the cost of your batch. rdwhahb.
Thanks for your answer. I must admit that I am able to increase the sanitation so I will follow primarily this way.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Remember, our ancestors (especially the Germans!) made great beer without any fancy science.

It sounds like this company is for commercial breweries, not home brewers (except those who won the lotto).

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 05-11-2010, 11:01 PM   #6
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Definitely not necessary for the home brewer. I imagine that this is something commercial breweries deal with, but more on the yeast culture side of things. Maybe they'd get some stuff tested if they spoil a batch, but at that point you've already spoiled it... who cares what it is. Clean and sanitise everything and be more careful next time.

Quick Reply