Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer snobbing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2011, 04:51 AM   #1
shivalotus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 7 Posts

Default Beer snobbing

Tonight I went to a local place that is a "German" pub. Sadly I had to take them to task over the Oktoberfest they were serving. It was over carbonated and had some phenol flavors in it that seemed very out of place. When I told the server he looked at me like I was a space alien. Fifteen minutes later he came back and told me I was right and they changed out the keg.

Now I feel like the beer police.

Anyone else had this sort of thing happen?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2011, 05:02 AM   #2
joeybeer
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Funny you should ask... Last year went to an out of the way marina and asked what they had on draft, bud bud light and miller light - I went with the miller and when she poured it and brought it over, it was flat and tasted like she'd wrung out a mop into a glass.
I brought it back to save anyone else from tasting it and said I didn't wantto comain, but the lines were dirty and I'd rather have a bottle. She immediately went and got the manager who ranted and raved and called me a fool and acted like I had gone in there with the intention of scamming them out of a mouthful of miller light ... Fair enough, I'll pay for the draft and this bottle and leave.. I could still hear him bitching as I walked away, when I got back to the table with my buddies, I saw him pour a glass and take a huge swig. He immediately spit it out into the drip tray and within 5 mins came over and told my table that he was wrong, and any beer or food we wanted was on the house.. It turned into quite a night, and I still stop in there from time to time ....

Kegged :
15 gallons of Yellow Bucket Light
~1 gallon of Little Miss Muffet Cider

Fermenter :
12 gallons of Under Pressure Brown Ale
5 gallons of Dead Guyish IPA for a competition

Old 04-17-2011, 06:22 AM   #3
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 341 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I've had a few bottles that had no carbonation, bottle cap rust, skunked, and drafts poured wrong. They always give me another beer if I mention it to them. People complain about beer in the US but I can tell you with certainty that it is far, far from the worst.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:33 AM   #4
dunnright00
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I went out once during SD Beer week to a pub that had a Ballast Point Tap Takeover. So good, Scupulin on Nitro, special sour ales, etc.

We left and headed to the gaslamp, and I ordered a Yellowtail Pale Ale, and when I got it, it tasted like stale Bud. I complained, and got a new pint, but it still tasted bad.

I wonder if it was the lines....

"I'm sittin' here, completely surrounded by No Beer!" - Onslow

Old 04-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
bgrayson726
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I host a beer tasting event at my house every friday. I've tasted some great and some not-so-great beers. However, twice out of the hundreds that I've tried, there have been bad batches. Once it was with Odell's Easy Street Wheat. I called the company and told them that it tasted very sour (like it had gone bad). In return, they apologized profusely and sent me a 6 pack of Easy Street, a mix 6 pack of some of their other beers, 2 t-shirts, and a bunch of stickers. To top it off, there was a handwritten letter of apology. I didn't even complain. I just asked if that was how it was supposed to taste (I had never had it before).

The other time, the same sort of thing happened with Firestone Walker's Solace Ale. However, the customer service wasn't AS good. I talked to the people that work in the brewing office and they wouldn't really listen to me. They kept saying "It's a very citrusy beer" over and over. I would say "yeah, I know, but it tastes like it went bad." and this went on for a while until I asked for their AZ rep's phone number. She, on the other hand, took the beer off the shelves and replaced it with new beer at the store and gave me a free 6 pack of solace.

The second time around on both of the beers was much much better.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Yeah I can't stand when bars run their taps all out of whack! I've had everything from flat beer, to stale beer, to what tasted like dirty lines, to simply the wrong beer - and that one pisses me off the most cause I almost always get attitude.

Most recent example:

I'm at a bar/restaurant and they have Ayinger Brau-Weisse on tap. I order one and it comes in a Blue Moon glass - I don't give a damn what glass it's in as long as it's a hefe style glass and they are so no problem there. So, I take a sip and it's actually BLUE MOON in the glass! So here's the conversation with the the waitress:

Me: "I'm sorry, but there's a mistake. This is Blue Moon and not Ayinger"
Waitress: "No, that's just the glass."
Me: "I know that, but the beer isn't Ayinger it's Blue Moon. I drink and know both very well and this is Blue Moon."
Waitress: "Well I saw him pour it."
Me: "Well then maybe the kegs are incorrectly tapped in the freezer, but this is NOT Ayinger. I've been beer connoisseuring for over 10 years and I know the difference."
Waitress: "OK, I'll take it back."

Waitress returns and NOW it's actually Ayinger. She asked if it's correct now and I said yes it is. I pointed out the completely noticeable difference in color, how Blue Moon is much more orange and the Ayinger lighter and more yellow. She then agreed.

I've had this happen several times in other various places. One I ordered my favorite beer Franziskaner and they served me a different brand of hefe. And they always get annoyed when you dispute it.

Rev.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
FromZwolle
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i don't see how people can get guilty over disputing a beer. People have no problem doing the same thing with any other product/service, so what's different about beer. You are purchasing a known product. If it turns out to be in poor condition, you have every right to send it back. You wouldn't buy an ipod, then keep it once you found out it won't play music.

Don't be a douche about it, but don't let an establishment rip you off either.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

haha, this thread is great. I think there just aren't that many true beer snobs out there, when a server runs into one of us they don't know what hit them. I've asked about a particular beer at brewpubs and been given the ever descriptive "it's light" or "it's dark". Gee thanks..

Old 04-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #9
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default This is not beer snobbery to me...

Beer snobbery is not what this thread is about. It should have been called "Sent back beers" or something.

When you buy/order something food related and it is wrong, you have 2 choices: 1) Consume what was brought to you. 2) Send it back.

As a general rule of thumb, being a prick will land you in an odd place because the golden rule of drinking/dinning out "DO NOT PISS OFF THE PEOPLE THAT HANDLE YOUR FOOD." You hear horror stories about stuff happening to food. They have even made movies about it...

On the other side...

How many people ever grab a manager/ call one and tell them how great your food/time was at there place? I do it all the time when I get great food or something exceptional happens. I feel that if I have to complain, I should have to complement as well.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #10
40watt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial View Post
Beer snobbery is not what this thread is about. It should have been called "Sent back beers" or something.

When you buy/order something food related and it is wrong, you have 2 choices: 1) Consume what was brought to you. 2) Send it back.

As a general rule of thumb, being a prick will land you in an odd place because the golden rule of drinking/dinning out "DO NOT PISS OFF THE PEOPLE THAT HANDLE YOUR FOOD." You hear horror stories about stuff happening to food. They have even made movies about it...

On the other side...

How many people ever grab a manager/ call one and tell them how great your food/time was at there place? I do it all the time when I get great food or something exceptional happens. I feel that if I have to complain, I should have to complement as well.
That is a good policy. I recently stopped in a diner and for the first time in a year or so stopping at random diners the hash browns were cooked correctly (along with everything else). I went back and hollered at the cook so I could thank him, shake his hand and give him a five dollar tip. Nobody knows how to cook breakfast anymore. I felt I needed to encourage that kind of effort.

I treat service personnel very well. Thus, I don't mind making any problems known. It's always the manager that brings the bad attitude.

Quick Reply