Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer Snobbery

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
SkewedBrewing
Hopscallion
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Beer Snobbery

The other day I was at my favorite local restaurant, Wilde, on Broadway here in Chicago. The shepherd's pie is awesome and they have plenty of Guiness to go with it.

On this occasion, however, I decided to go a slightly different route and order a couple of Smithwick's in lieu of the usual Guiness. When I went to the bar to order one, which I'd done before and had no complications, the bartender, who was about my age (26 or27), looked at me like I had a monkey on my shoulder and snidely replied, "We don't have Smithwicks, but we have 'Smitticks'."

At first I took it in stride, thinking he might be Irish or something and he was trying to be funny. So, as I return for my next round, I ask another bartender for a Smithwicks. Same reply.

Now, I know I live in Lakeview/Lincoln Park and I shouldn't be surprised to run into some snobby people every once and a while, but I thought it was pretty ridiculous to have two different dudes try to correct me and sound cool when all I wanted was a beer... and I'm the one tipping them... And I probably know more about beer than both of them...

Anybody else ever run into beer snobbery like this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkewedAle View Post
The other day I was at my favorite local restaurant, Wilde, on Broadway here in Chicago. The shepherd's pie is awesome and they have plenty of Guiness to go with it.

On this occasion, however, I decided to go a slightly different route and order a couple of Smithwick's in lieu of the usual Guiness. When I went to the bar to order one, which I'd done before and had no complications, the bartender, who was about my age (26 or27), looked at me like I had a monkey on my shoulder and snidely replied, "We don't have Smithwicks, but we have 'Smitticks'."

At first I took it in stride, thinking he might be Irish or something and he was trying to be funny. So, as I return for my next round, I ask another bartender for a Smithwicks. Same reply.

Now, I know I live in Lakeview/Lincoln Park and I shouldn't be surprised to run into some snobby people every once and a while, but I thought it was pretty ridiculous to have two different dudes try to correct me and sound cool when all I wanted was a beer... and I'm the one tipping them... And I probably know more about beer than both of them...

Anybody else ever run into beer snobbery like this?

The faux beer snob. You are getting off easy. If they actually knew anything, they would know both pronunciations were acceptable.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
shaundesjardins
Recipes 

That reminds of me every time I order a "Who-Garden" and people correct me and get me a "HOE-GARDEN"

Funny.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Also, next time, get Murphy's. Puts Guinness to shame.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts

I gave up on trying to educate the beer ignorant a long time ago. Most of the time it's not worth the effort.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:58 PM   #6
RC0032
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Not a fan of that bar - mostly because of the crowd but I would have told them to **** off

Old 01-12-2009, 09:01 PM   #7
SkewedBrewing
Hopscallion
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC0032 View Post
Not a fan of that bar - mostly because of the crowd but I would have told them to **** off
Ya, as a bar its just alright. I live right around the corner so I like to go there for dinner every once and a while, awesome atmosphere. However, not awesome employees.

This was one of those situations where you can't think of anything witty to say until you've already walked away and its too late...

Reusable Pry-Off Bottles Wiki

Old 01-12-2009, 09:01 PM   #8
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

I love the "Similar Threads" section at the bottom of these threads.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 01-12-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
mev
Recipes 

That happens a lot at Irish Pubs. I often ask for SmiTHWicks to see what they say. Usually they'll say Smitticks? Sure! but not in a condescending way. The guy probably thought he was all cool and trying to show you up or teach you something.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:02 PM   #10
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I don't know if this is yuppie-type snobbery or just Irish purism. Was the guy Irish? If he has an Irish accent, next time tell him you love his English accent and that you always admired Princess Diana. See what he says or does.

Quick Reply