New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer Server Certification

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
dcott
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Beer Server Certification

I was reading Sommelier Journal last month, and there was an article on a new certification for Beer professionals called "Master Cicerone." Apparently the certifying organization (http://www.cicerone.org) has three levels: Certified Beer Server, Certified Cicerone, and Master Cicerone.

I'm curious if anyone on here has done any of these and what your experience was like. I'm thinking about doing the first level as it is inexpensive and online.

Any thoughts?

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."

~Jack Handey

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

I have a lot of respect for Ray Daniels, and I think the program is solid. I'm not sure how much is involved in becoming a ciccerone, but it'd be fun and educational at the least.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
dcott
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Regardless of whether I take it or not, I'm excited about it because I hope it will only help to spread the love of good beer in professional circles. Plus, it will create restaurants where service actually involves a knowledge of beer that is something more than just BMC. I know everyone at Brooklyn Brewery took the first level, which I think is pretty cool.

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."

~Jack Handey

Old 01-26-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Ray talked quite a bit about this program last summer, but I don't remember any of the details. I know he was really excited about it, and talked about it at the NHC and gave quite a few details. I guess I didn't listen as carefully as I could have when he talked about it, but I remember him saying the program would have fees.

At my age, I'm just happy to drink beer, so I'm not really interested in starting a new career. I just retired not even a week ago!

But, if I was thinking of a career change, I could see myself interested in something like this.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
Veinman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Very cool idea and thanks for posting. Signed up for the site and I'm reading through the study guides and am learning a ton. Highly recommend anyone who has the time and wants to learn or brush up on their beer knowledge take a look.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:24 PM   #6
dcott
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Good point Veinman, I forgot to mention how many great resources the site offers.

It's something that I'm particularly interested in because I'm a Certified Sommelier, which includes very limited knowledge requirement of beer, but I'm always looking at ways to push myself further in studying all things fermented (and beer is really my bigger love affair anyway).

~Jack Handey

Old 01-26-2011, 11:48 PM   #7
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 531

one of my favorite local bars is run by a certified cicerone, I always wondered what exactly that entailed, thanks for sharing the info :-)

Old 01-27-2011, 12:47 AM   #8
dcott
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinj
one of my favorite local bars is run by a certified cicerone, I always wondered what exactly that entailed, thanks for sharing the info :-)
If you don't mind sharing, which bar is this?

~Jack Handey

Old 01-27-2011, 01:29 AM   #9
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 531

Library ale house in Santa Monica

Old 01-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
jrph22
Recipes 

I've been looking at the Cicerone program online and the only real issue I have is the price. $70 for the entry level beer server (which honestly I think most people who have been brewing and kegging their own beers could probably pass right away). $345 for the Certified Cicerone!!! with retakes for written $150 and $75 for the tasting. Than the Master level is $595! To me that seems a little crazy expensive. Especially considering Beer Judge Certification is $50 and seems to cover generally the same thing as Cicerone with the exception of draft systems which the beer judge certification doesn't have anything about.

Quick Reply