HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer Samples in the LHBS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #31
twalte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog
At least in CA it is definetly illegal. In fact it is essentially the same as selling homebrew in the eyes of the law. http://calbevlaw.com/2010/12/11/when-is-an-alcoholic-beverage-license-needed/
I think you nailed it. Time to crack down on those hair salons offering free wine!

I should have figured...everything is regulated out here in the People's Republic of California. My favorite: Animals are banned from mating publicly within 1500 feet of a tavern, school or place of worship. Let's see them start cracking down on that one.

http://www.stupidlaws.com/animals-are-banned-from-mating-publicly-within-1500-feet-of-a-tavern-school-or-place-of-worship/

"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #32
Hex
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 23

My LHBS had to stop the practice, but another one across town still does. It's about as silly as the 200 gallon limit and concealed carry permits. Government restrictions on life liberty and persut of hoppyness.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #33
PackerfaninSanDiego
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 6

spoke with the bossman yesterday, he says it's all legal. No need to do a thing,,but if he would ever sell a sample for a nickel,,he could be in trouble

You meet the nicest people on a Honda, wink!

Old 02-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #34
thadius856

Recipes 

Liked 468 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Walked into an LHBS on Thursday afternoon. Browsed a bit for little things I needed. Ended up walking out with a pyrex dropper, some vinyl tubing, a drilled stopper, and 5# of Dextrose. Paid out the nose for it. Should have waited.

There was a pile of samples sitting in sixer holders. Was even offered a few, but declined because I was in uniform.

Funny.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 02-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #35
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 851 Times on 571 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I haven't reviewed all the state laws but I know that some are explicit in that homebrewed beer has to be brewed and consumed at home. Even in the cases where small quantities are allowed to be removed from the home for evaluation purposes (comps), it's far from serving in a commercial setting for a commercial purpose. To be sure, the samples would be construed as marketing collateral even if it were just a friendly gesture to customers. I know a lot of homebrew shops do this and my guess is that it's very much a don't ask don't tell thing. I doubt many have consulted a lawyer about its legality.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 02-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #36
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I think the problem occurs when you are selling stuff AND giving away free beer. An example is that I sell t-shirts with my "brewery" logo on it. This is a legitimate business....I charge/collect state sales tax. Now let's say I sell somebody a t-shirt for 60 bucks but it comes with "free" beer. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the "real" product being sold is the beer...the t-shirt just makes the sale look legitimate.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two-Trees-Brewing-Co/102323289804018

Old 02-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #37
TMadness1013
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I need to recommend this to my LHBS.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #38
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones

Recipes 

Liked 1656 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

Yeah,it'd be nice if JW Dover did this. He also runs Black Box Brewing out of the back of the shop. Looks like they just bottled a batch of Black Forest Lager yesterday as well. Love to have been able to try a sampl of that. Doing a black lager myself next week.

Quick Reply