Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer sales slip across Europe; pricey brands down in U.S.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2008, 03:14 PM   #11
Edcculus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC0032 View Post
College is about getting the effects of beer not the taste.
I beg to differ my friend. Thats not the debate however.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2008, 03:21 PM   #12
RC0032
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
I beg to differ my friend. Thats not the debate however.
I wish I took pics...It was 1AM sitting in a frat basement behind the bar/ VIP area drinking me a Bells while tons of kids held their empty glass begging for beer...at one point there were swapping out Kegs and a few guys left because service wasn't fast enough. These guys didn't even know what swill they were drinking. They were there for the effect not the taste.

As for me I was worried because the beer store closed at 1:30 and I only had 2 beers left and would be forced to drink the swill

Old 10-28-2008, 03:29 PM   #13
netjunk1e
Recipes 

I guess I am lucky for only paying 8.50 for 6 packs of Rouge and 7 For all the other oregon Micros

Old 10-28-2008, 03:36 PM   #14
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
I wish I took pics...It was 1AM sitting in a frat basement behind the bar/ VIP area
Well your first problem is being at a frat party that has a "VIP area". Please don't confuse real college students with frat boys

Old 10-28-2008, 03:40 PM   #15
RC0032
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Ok we can have this battle else where. Back on topic...The cost of Micros is whats driving sales down. For example I bought a 4 pack of this for $19.99 this past weekend and almost shot myself for doing it.

Last edited by RC0032; 10-28-2008 at 03:43 PM.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:55 PM   #16
Edcculus
Recipes 

Yea, there are a lot of pricey micros out there. I don't claim to know their costs, or how much it gets marked up. I'm willing to bet it gets marked up substantially.

I recently saw a bottle of Terrapin Hop Shortage at a local pub known for a great beer selection going for $15 (750 mL). I went and bought the same thing at the liquor store for $6.

Oskar Blues' Gordon's really gets me. I usually see it for $12 a 4 pack! I've heard its a great beer. Thats a little rich for my blood.

I do get pretty decent prices on the South Eastern micros like Highland Brewing Company, Terrapin, Thomas Creek etc.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:58 PM   #17
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
Yea, there are a lot of pricey micros out there. I don't claim to know their costs, or how much it gets marked up. I'm willing to bet it gets marked up substantially.

I recently saw a bottle of Terrapin Hop Shortage at a local pub known for a great beer selection going for $15 (750 mL). I went and bought the same thing at the liquor store for $6.

Oskar Blues' Gordon's really gets me. I usually see it for $12 a 4 pack! I've heard its a great beer. Thats a little rich for my blood.

I do get pretty decent prices on the South Eastern micros like Highland Brewing Company, Terrapin, Thomas Creek etc.
Ya, buying anything in a 750 at a restaurant and it gets pricey - usually marked up to 2-3x what you can get at the local liquor store.

I'm very surprised you can get Oskar Blues all the way out in SC. I thought it was just a small Colorado thing

Old 10-28-2008, 04:13 PM   #18
Edcculus
Recipes 

It just started showing up here when the ABV ban got lifted not much over a year ago. Another more BMC drinking oriented bar here serves Old Chub cans. Pricey too, but a nice change up from Miller Light pitchers.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #19
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
You think college kids drink beer for the taste? I was visiting the bother-in-law at a frat 2 weekends ago. Friday night we were sitting around with a few of his brother and I brought in 2 6 packs of Bells 2 hearted Ale. They all loved it but I don't see any of them buying a keg of it for the party that night. College is about getting the effects of beer not the taste.
Yep. My daughter is a beer snob. The guys as SDSU all buy Keystone Light or Natty Light by the keg for parties. Why??? Because is is the cheapest buzz. No other requirements. She won't touch the stuff. Next year she'll be making her own Apfelwein.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 10-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #20
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
Next year she'll be making her own Apfelwein.
Ahh the grin of a proud Daddy! That girl is going to be Pop-U-LAR!

Quick Reply