Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer sales slip across Europe; pricey brands down in U.S.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2008, 02:17 PM   #1
mZnthebend
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default Beer sales slip across Europe; pricey brands down in U.S.

Beer sales slip across Europe; pricey brands down in U.S. - USATODAY.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Maybe it'll be like the Cigar Boom. It got the industry up and going, but made a premium cigar so over priced that we could hardly afford to smoke. Now the boom has faded, and the price has corrected. Maybe we can soon pay less than $9 a 6 pack for premium beer if we can get the yuppie college kids that drink Micro's because it's COOL to go back to Bud Ice!

Sad for the rest of us though...cause you know it's hurting some of the best breweries in the country!

Old 10-28-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
...if we can get the yuppie college kids that drink Micro's because it's COOL to go back to Bud Ice!
That's not really fair, if somebody is going to drink a beer because its "cool", they are going to go with a beer with a name like Sam Adams or something. I don't know anybody who drinks something from Stone or Avery or a similar smaller brew because it looks cool. It is possible for college kids to taste buds and enjoy beer the way it is meant to me enjoyed

Old 10-28-2008, 02:32 PM   #4
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker36 View Post
That's not really fair, if somebody is going to drink a beer because its "cool", they are going to go with a beer with a name like Sam Adams or something. I don't know anybody who drinks something from Stone or Avery or a similar smaller brew because it looks cool. It is possible for college kids to taste buds and enjoy beer the way it is meant to me enjoyed
I'm not discounting that fact....and true enough many a serious beer aficionado has come from trying something like Sam Addams and liking it! I'm not knocking the benefits of a good industry boom!
I'm only 30, so I really had just started to explore the wonderful world of premium Tobacco when that boom hit, and I've seen many of my friends that would drop $20 on a Fuentes and think nothing of it relegated back to the nasty realm of Marlboro and Camel Ecstasy! Those are the people that irritate me...the ones that are more concerned with having the high price high society big name stuff than real quality. The people that prop the price on the things that we love, just to look good doing it, and causes the rest of us to shell out extra bucks for something we truly enjoy and appreciate.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:35 PM   #5
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

PBR is the current "yuppie college kid" beer of choice. Quite lame IMO...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 10-28-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulive View Post
PBR is the current "yuppie college kid" beer of choice. Quite lame IMO...
Also the choice of toothless rednecks and hill folk all over southern Alabama and Northern Tennessee!

Old 10-28-2008, 02:38 PM   #7
Clayton
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 19

i am sure that as the corn ethanol fad slips away and the Subsidies are removed price and avalbility of barley and corn will improve

Last edited by Clayton; 10-28-2008 at 02:41 PM.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:42 PM   #8
RC0032
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

You think college kids drink beer for the taste? I was visiting the bother-in-law at a frat 2 weekends ago. Friday night we were sitting around with a few of his brother and I brought in 2 6 packs of Bells 2 hearted Ale. They all loved it but I don't see any of them buying a keg of it for the party that night. College is about getting the effects of beer not the taste.

As for the current trend; look to the economy, its down. Also $9 for a 6 pack of SA is way too high. Maybe its the hop shortage but WTF?

Old 10-28-2008, 02:46 PM   #9
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC0032 View Post
You think college kids drink beer for the taste? I was visiting the bother-in-law at a frat 2 weekends ago. Friday night we were sitting around with a few of his brother and I brought in 2 6 packs of Bells 2 hearted Ale. They all loved it but I don't see any of them buying a keg of it for the party that night. College is about getting the effects of beer not the taste.
I love beer as much as the next guy, but if I am having a party, I am not dropping $150+ for a keg of something nice because 1) I'm not made of money, and 2) 90% of it will be had by people who don't appreciate it or are just going to use it to fill up beirut cups. Those are the occasions when you get a 2 kegs of Key Light for $70 and call it a day

Old 10-28-2008, 02:51 PM   #10
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker36 View Post
I love beer as much as the next guy, but if I am having a party, I am not dropping $150+ for a keg of something nice because 1) I'm not made of money, and 2) 90% of it will be had by people who don't appreciate it or are just going to use it to fill up beirut cups. Those are the occasions when you get a 2 kegs of Key Light for $70 and call it a day
Yup, even BMC has its place. Did I really just say that?!?

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Quick Reply