New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > beer and protein powder...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2010, 12:18 AM   #1
DodginBUIs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default beer and protein powder...

ok so i got the idea to brew a chocolate stout but with the addition of muscle milk protein powder. just got back into the gym and that damn muscle milk is tasty... i was curious if anyone has ever brewed a beer with protein powder and if there are any problems with that concept. also, if its possible, when can the powder be added?

before you just dismiss the idea and explain why its better to just drink the protein powder by itself, realize i already know this. im just wondering if i can add protein to my beer either during the boil or during fermentation, etc. if anyone has any input its much appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 01:39 AM   #2
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 20

If you added to the boil it'd probably just precipitate out with the rest of the break. I'd say you'd have to add it during fermentation. I remember somewhere hearing about fermented milk mead, and was struck by how they commented that the ferment looked really weird (curds and junk floating around), but they said it turned out pretty good.

I think it would be good to do it as a dark beer so that clarity isn't an issue...I'm not sure how much lipid is in the stuff you were thinking to add, but lipids can really prolong the clearing time, if my chocolate mead is any indication.

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 10-14-2010, 01:54 AM   #3
Baja_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodginBUIs View Post
ok so i got the idea to brew a chocolate stout but with the addition of muscle milk protein powder. just got back into the gym and that damn muscle milk is tasty... i was curious if anyone has ever brewed a beer with protein powder and if there are any problems with that concept. also, if its possible, when can the powder be added?

before you just dismiss the idea and explain why its better to just drink the protein powder by itself, realize i already know this. im just wondering if i can add protein to my beer either during the boil or during fermentation, etc. if anyone has any input its much appreciated!
Funny, I was going to make a post about protein powder earlier today. Not related to brewing, just interested in seeing what type other guys out there use (on a non-bodybuilding/sports forum) and what kind of results they were hoping for. I started using Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydrowhey recently (no other affiliation ) and it is AWESOME (tastes fantastic, no issues mixing, next to no carbs/fat...) Only problem is that it is expensivvveeeee.

/offtopic

I don't know what it would do to your beer, gonna have to wait for one of the brewing science guys to chime in on that... I do know that I've tried cooking with it and once the items cooled they hardened and were pretty gross. That said, I did some research on the subject of denaturing protein when it is heated above ~40*C (120*F) and it will lose some of its nutritional value... so I'd add it during fermentation if it were me trying it.

Though you already know this, my opinion is: add chocolate flavoring (extract, powder, w/e) to your beer if you're after flavor, drink/enjoy your delicious whey on its own (add some irish cream if you want it alcoholic, I love a good beer after a workout) and kick-ass

Courage les garçons, et patience, vos femmes vont finir par apprécier la bière !

Old 10-14-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 20

To add to the /offtopic:

I use EAS myoplex whey protein, just the plain vanilla. It's really inexpensive (something around 25 bucks for a 5 lb bag at Sam's Club), and tastes good on its own, but also really easy to flavor. A really small quantity of Hershey's syrup makes it chocolate, and you can add a tiny dab of any number of flavor extracts to make a huge quantity of flavors for variety. Try the following:
hershey's and rum flavor - tastes like Irish cream
hershey's and coconut - yum
hershey's and almond - yum
base shake w/ orange and almond - tastes like amaretto
base shake w/ lemon - tastes like lemon icing

/end offtopic

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 10-14-2010, 09:43 AM   #5
Reno_Raines
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't have any brewing input but can tell you that spending money on supplements is a waste of time and money if you are not competing in a body building or strength event. Anybody can get plenty big if they put in the work. If a person doesn't do the work in the gym supplements won't help anyway.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
DeBrewer
Recipes 

I looked into this some and the only concern that I have is what all of the added minerals would do to the taste and body. I say give it a shot and let us know.

ON is a great protein but there is always something cheaper with a similar if not exact profile. I sacrifice some taste for price. Check out whey2buy, wheycheap, etc... and you can get some great deals. I think Reno is partially correct but from experience there are some essentials that any person that regulars a gym should use. Protein is a basic component of our diet and I would venture to say that most do not ingest nearly enough on a daily basis. A simple shake can be a great supplement for it but there are also a number of traditional ways to get the protein without supps (peanut butter, eggs, etc...).

In my opinion it is always good to take a multivitamin and some form of fish oil or joint support. I did/do power lifting so I am a little different on what supps I need but that is where the grey area is. Not any one person is the same so supplementing a diet should not be the same for everyone. As we get older we need more support so I supplement when necessary to keep my body as agile as I can. Youth are lucky and need to just simply eat and work out since they still produce test. Unfortunately I don't.....

There are a ton of supps that exploit one specific deficiency and advertise them as being a wonder drug.... Never the case. Keep it simple with the basics and read read read before you put anything in your body.. Even if your not that into it, check out bodybuilding.com and you can find an enormous amount of info on whatever your questions may be.
/steps down from soapbox

Old 10-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 191 Posts

If you look at the protein powder container, I believe they all instruct you to consume it within like 20 minutes of putting it in liquid. Amongst the problems already addressed, have you ever smelled the protein residue in a glass after it has sat at room temp for a couple hours? Now imagine that smell after weeks. Would you really want to drink that????

Another problem is, what benefit do you seek from adding protein? Alcohol is generally considered to slow or stop muscle recovery so it is the worst time to try to infuse protein into your body...

Old 10-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Bud has 1g of Protein.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #9
DodginBUIs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_Raines View Post
I don't have any brewing input but can tell you that spending money on supplements is a waste of time and money if you are not competing in a body building or strength event. Anybody can get plenty big if they put in the work. If a person doesn't do the work in the gym supplements won't help anyway.
ehhh.... not quite.... the supplements wont turn you into the incredible hulk, but it damn sure doesnt hurt a bit to have a protein shake after a workout. its almost hard to find someone that DOESNT do that.

i take muscle milk (i know it isnt miracle grow) and think its tasty so i just thought i might give myself yet another reason to drink more beer by adding some to a chocolate brew. im considering trying to add some to the primary to see what the result is. if anyone has already done this, i certainly welcome any advice so as not to reinvent the wheel

Old 10-14-2010, 10:26 PM   #10
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

What sweetner is used in Muscle Milk? I'm guessing its artificial, and that means it could use one that cannot be heated.

Nutrasweet is a great example of a fake sweetner that cannot be heated or it breaks down into some horribly bitter chemicals.

Sucralose is another story.

I would do a small test batch because I suspect this is going to be aweful.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Quick Reply