Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer product placement - good and bad

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
jfowler1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Beer product placement - good and bad

It always catches my eye when a TV show uses the same product placements over and over again. Two beer examples come to mind, but one really pisses me off.

I have seen it discussed before, but the show Weeds constantly has Stone Brewing as a featured product. Andy drinks it, they have billboards at bus stops, etc. I think that is pretty cool - California based show, featuring a California brewed beer.

On the flip side, my wife and I have been watching True Blood on DVD. The show is based out of Louisiana, and almost every bar scene at Sam's restaurant shows someone pulling a pint from an Abita Turbodog tap handle. Waitresses will actually call it by name - "Can I get another Abita?" If you have never tried it, Turbodog is a dark brown ale (almost black). The problem is that the beer that comes out of the tap looks more like Bud Light.

I think I am most offended by this because Turbodog was my gateway beer, so I will always have a special affinity towards it. I just can't believe the show made the effort to feature a local product, but then completely misrepresents what the product is. A nice effort, but but a complete lack of authenticity.

Has anyone else noticed this issue, or anything similar?

Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yes but with other products than beer. IMO TV has not been worth watching for a long time, so much so that we only get what we can pull in with an antenna for free! TV shows now are like watching a string of giant commercials that make up a story, with real commercials every 8.5 minutes. I wonder why ADD has been on the rise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cable Guy
Someone has to kill the babysitter!
I find it more relaxing to surf forums and research my hobbies than to watch TV. Knowledge is free and doing things is fun!

Old 07-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

are you sure its the turbo dog that they're pouring? they have a few others that are much lighter.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
jfowler1
Recipes 

Turbodog is a tap handle I know very well.

If it was a one time thing, I could surely be mistaken - but I think it has happened in every episode so far in season 3.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
jfowler1
Recipes 

Someone else noticed...

from http://www.tv.com/true-blood/it-hurt...3/summary.html

"In the scene where Jason sees Tara at the bar, she's pouring him a beer from a tap labeled as Abita Turbodog. The problem is that the beer that comes out is a light-colored beer, like a Coors or something. Abita Turbodog is a dark ale, the beer should be almost black in color."

Old 07-08-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I noticed the Weeds thing too. It's only in season 6 though.

I've caught a glimpse of them drinking Yuengling on Bones before. On It's Always Sunny in Philly they usually have cases of decent beer in the background of the bar scenes.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial View Post
Yes but with other products than beer. IMO TV has not been worth watching for a long time, so much so that we only get what we can pull in with an antenna for free! TV shows now are like watching a string of giant commercials that make up a story, with real commercials every 8.5 minutes. I wonder why ADD has been on the rise...

I find it more relaxing to surf forums and research my hobbies than to watch TV. Knowledge is free and doing things is fun!
Amen, brother!!! Cut the cable three years ago and never looked back. Now we're that weird family that does things like talk and has campfires in the backyard while the rest of the neighborhoods inside glued to the toob. My wife and I were just talking about that last night, how nice it is when Joe co-worker asks 'did ya see such n such last night? Oh man, blah blah blibbity....' and you answer 'nope, don't really watch tv'. The look ya get is priceless! Sorry, way OT.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
JJL
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I catch reruns of 2 and half men. If they are drinking beer at their local bar it is usually Sam Adams. I noticed Stone in Weeds. Probably the best placement was when they were at some outdoor concert and they went to a beer tent where the Arrogant Bastard tap handle was in the shot for about a minute.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #9
screamingcities
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dunno if a faulty color would bother me... (I doubt they're actually pouring beer in the first place) but it does bother me when the product placement is out of place...

Like when I watch Fringe and the scene is dark and moody and all of a sudden they do something like, "I'll call Walter on my Ford Sync system..." followed by a closeup of the sync, and that stupid Bloink...

Ugh... I hate that.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #10
Tinga
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just saw transformers 3 last weekend and the product placement was off the charts. When this movie comes out on dvd I am going to watch it slowly while recording every brand name and how many times they each appear and translate that into who paid the most amount of money to appear in this movie. Should make a pretty decent blog post for my beginning business career.

Quick Reply