Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer in Prague, Vienna, Budapest?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 01:37 AM   #11
Wesjmc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Wow, thanks for all the info! I see some overlap in breweries (U Medvidku) which kinda makes it a no brainer to go to those breweries specifically.

bonnybunch, thanks for the link. U Medvidku looks like a great place. Being a home brewer, I like the idea of showcasing their process right where they pour. Too bad I only speak English and can't read their description of the 1466, but I'll trust your judgment and drink some! A few others mentioned Pivovarsky dum and pivovarsky klub I don't know what pivovarsky means. Are these breweries related?

BadMrFrosty, you should do Czech beer tours. I automatically feel like I should trust your opinion since you live in Prague. I appreciate the extra effort with the addresses too. We definitely want to stay away from touristy areas (though if we happen to pass U Fleku we just may grab a pint). We want to drink with locals who will accept a few Americans who simply love drinking good beer and asking random questions about another culture. With American IPAs being the style of the week here in the US (for a few hundred weeks), I'm dying to try a highly recommended Czech Raptor IPA.

Has anyone had a good beer experience in Vienna or Budapest? I know you have. Hopefully we'll get some responses before we get there. If not, we'll definitely report our findings.

P.S. BadMrFrosty, assume positive intent before you scold people. I posted my original question merely 3 days ago, and have been very busy (planning a honeymoon at the last minute and working overtime to fund it). I hope your last post was just a reactionary statement since you obviously spent a good amount of time gathering some great information for me and my new wife. Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 06:39 AM   #12
harrymanback92
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Strahov monastery in Prague. You won't be disappointed. It's a microbrewery. Any beer in the Czech republic labeled a regional will be very good. It's basically homebrew.

Pilsner Urquell Naflitra is the unfiltered unpasteurized version of the beer, totally changes the experience.

Primary:Farmhouse Triple, Simcoe Session IPA, 100% Brett Brux IPA
Conditioning: Willamette English Pale Ale

Old 03-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #13
BadMrFrosty
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yeah sorry, got out of bed the wrong side that day...

The above recommendation for Strahov is a good one for the beer but don't go to the monastery itself for it as its mega touristy. You can get their wonderful IPA in Zubaty Pes for half the price.

Primary: Beer, Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer

Old 03-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #14
Spartan1979
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 91

U Fleku may be a tourist trap, but it's a place I've wanted to go ever since I saw it in Michael Jackson's Beer Hunter videos. Just a bucket list place.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #15
Crashola
Recipes 

My wife and I honeymooned in Budapest a few years ago. I have to confess that we didn't have much beer. But Hungary is one of the best-kept secrets in the wine world. If you and your new spouse like wine, you'll love Hungary. While their Tokai dessert wine is world-famous, we fell in love with a lot of stuff that we really don't see on this side of the pond -- especially the reds from Szekszard and Villany.

Hungary is also out of the Euro zone, so its cheap. We had dinner one night and went all out with appetizers, dessert, a bottle of good wine, and some Tokai. It was amazing -- and even more amazing when we paid our ~$80 check!

Old 03-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #16
Wesjmc
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default My Conclusion

Well we made it back to the States, and I wanted to give a little report on our findings.

Prague:
Zly Casy was definitely the best for authentic Czech beer and a good selection. However, it was about an hour walk from our hotel, and some of the neighborhoods we walked through were pretty sketchy. So I'd recommend taking some sort of public transit. Although she was a good sport, I could tell my wife was very uncomfortable with the trek out there. So we only stayed for a few beers.

U Medvidku was an awesome place, but only had 3 of their own beers which were all good but not great.

Kulovy Blesk was great. Smaller selection than Zly Casy, but less intimidating for a couple Americans who don't speak a word of Czech.

The winner for us was a newer (I think) brewery called U Tri Ruzi that was right next to our hotel. Most of their beers were good but not outstanding, but two of them were phenomenal. They had a bock called Klasterni Special St. Jilji No. 1 that was fantastic, and another called New Zealand Hop Lager. I have recently fallen in love with NZ hops, and this was a passion-fruity, hop-bursted, lager-for-IPA-lovers!

Vienna:
Well we found a lot of American Adjunct Lagers and a lot of boring pilsners. So overall very unimpressed. On our last night we asked a server at a restaurant for suggestions. He knew nothing of beer (even the beers they served there), but he said he was just invited to a beer bar that night called Kanguruh Pub. He didn't know where it was, but told us we could find it if we got off at the "westbanhof" stop. So we took the metro out there, and couldn't find it to save our lives. So with no free wi-fi anywhere to look it up, we finally gave up. I later googled that bar and their selection made me want to cry...SOOO many great beers. Oh well...

Budapest:
Great wine, yes! Though neither of us are big wine fans. The only local beer we could find was yellow fizzy crap, but we did find an awesome little Belgian beer bar called BelD'or Belvaros. We ended up there every night we were in Budapest. Most of the beer was bottled. It was ALL served in the proper respective glassware. The food was good. The service was VERY friendly. So although most (if not all) the beer there is available in the US, it was still a win for us over any other beer we found in Budapest.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I hope this is helpful to others visiting these areas. If anyone makes it out to Kanguluh Pub in Vienna feel free to rub it in my face how good it is.

Cheers!

Quick Reply