Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer in Prague, Vienna, Budapest?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
Wesjmc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Beer in Prague, Vienna, Budapest?

Next week my wife and I leave on our honeymoon to visit Prague, Vienna, and Budapest. We are both beer lovers and were wondering if anyone had suggestions for where to go for great beer. We're talking breweries, bars, restaurants, bottle shops, anywhere to find great beer. If anyone has visited these places and would share their findings we'd love to hear about it. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
bonnybunch
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've been on a few beer drinking trips around the Czech Republic, great beer and great times! In Prague I'd highly recommend U Medvidku (http://www.umedvidku.cz/index.php?op...mid=55&lang=en)
Their 1466 is glorious, go upstairs to drink, you actually sit in the brewery and can watch the beer condition as you drink it. The tap is literally a couple of feet away from the conditioning vessel.
I also recommend U Zlateho Tygra, for me they serve the freshest Pilsner Urquell in the city, it pays to get there early as all the tables are reserved by the locals from 18:00 ish (it opens at 15:00). It really is a wonderful bar, one kind of beer, one size glass, tab on the table and the only way to have them stop bringing you beer is if you cover the top of your glass with a beer mat.

Pivovarsky Dum is also a good one, a micro that serves their own beer as well as stuff from smaller breweries from around CZ. They have two venues, the smaller one has a bottle shop too which is pretty good. Try to find some of the Kocour beers, they're a bit more progressive than other Czech breweries. The Matuska stuff is good also if you can find it.

When I was in Budapest I failed miserably to find any decent beer bars, the tokaj isn't bad though!

In Vienna I recommend Kanguruh, they offer a wide range from all over Austria and Germany, nice place.

Hope this is helpful, if you can get hold of it the CAMRA guide to Prague & The Czech Republic has lots of great info in it. Hope you have an awesome time!

Old 03-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
BadMrFrosty
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Prague I can help with:

1st choice for the beer lover has to be "Zlý Časy" which has 36 beers on tap with nearly all of them from small to mid sized Czech breweries. You wont find any Pilsner Urquell or other big "Czech" brands there. Never go after 5PM without a reservation as this place is always crowded, even on week-nights. Also next door to the pub is a shop selling a huge range of bottled beers from all over the world.

Address - Čestmírova 5, Praha 4 http://www.zlycasy.eu/

Then just down the road from there is "Zubatý Pes" which has 15 beers on tap with half being from Czech breweries and the other half from other northern European breweries. This place has a great selection and unlike "Zlý Časy" there is almost always several free tables. I used to live on the same street as this place so have been there many, many times and never had a badly treated beer. For the brave they also have a beer shots from Brewdog which range from 20% alcohol upto 40%.

Address - PETROHRADSKÁ 216/3, VRŠOVICE, PRAHA10 http://www.zubatypes.cz

Next up is Kulový blesk which has 18 taps with Czech breweries beers.

Address - Sokolská 13, Praha 2 http://www.restauracekulovyblesk.cz

All of these places can be reached by tram from the centre in under 15 mins, none are in the slightest bit touristy, have great prices and are very much like a classic pub.

As recommended above Kocour and Matuska are both great smallish breweries and regularly have beers on tap at all these places. My personal favourite being the Raptor IPA from Matuska or Mondeo from another small Czech brewery called Chýně. In fact if you had a car you could go visit the brewery in Chýně and get the beer from its source as its only maybe 45 mins from the centre of Prague.

If you just want a beer and don't fancy trekking to a special place then go for anywhere that offers "Nefiltrované Pivo", "Kvasnicové Pivo" or "Nepasterizované Pivo" which will be much more tasty than the coloured fizzy water that most pubs will serve. In addition out of all of the more widely available beers I recommend you go for anything from "Svijany" which is better than the other big brands most of which are not even Czech any more.

Primary: Beer, Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer

Old 03-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
bonnybunch
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Damn, looks like I missed a lot of good places the last time I was over. Raptor IPA is fantastic, although I didn't try it in the Czech Republic - I had it in my local in England a couple of summers ago, they have a good line in exported Czech micros.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:49 AM   #5
JKaranka
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Vienna and Budapest advice most welcome :-)

Old 03-03-2013, 01:58 AM   #6
Bulls Beers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 104 Posts

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Ufleku..An amazing dark lager..This brewery only makes one beer...When I was there this past September, I wish I drank more of it. I didn't appreciate it until I got home. I've made two clones that came out pretty close... http://en.ufleku.cz/ A must IMO!!

Here's another brewery that's around the corner to Ufleku. It's called uMedvidku...They make a couple very nice beers. Restaurant is in the front, but the brewery is up stairs in the back. They were brewing a batch when I was there, so I got to talk with the brewer. It's a small brewery, but make great beer.. http://www.umedvidku.cz/

Two popular bars are Pivovarsky dum and Pivovarsky club..Have a great time..

Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Old 03-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
BadMrFrosty
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls Beers View Post
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Ufleku..An amazing dark lager.

Snip
I cant speak for everyone but the reason I did not mention U Fleku is because it is nothing but a tourist trap. The waiters will try to gouge every Koruna they can from you, their main trick is to serve you drinks you did not order. Also the beer is mediocre at best and when compared to similar beers from other Czech breweries it just can not compete. If you like dark beers, do yourself a favour and try "Kout Tmavý", "Merlin Tmavý Ležák" or just go to one of the places I mentioned and order anything with the word "Tmavý" in the name and it will be a hell of a lot better than the U Fleku stuff.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:19 AM   #8
LeverTime
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

+1 for U medvídků. I lived in Prague for six months, and my apartment was just around the corner from this place. My wife also liked to go for a goulash lunch at Restaurace U Betlémské Kaple, which is not far from U medvídků. I never went, so I can't speak to the beer.

Two pubs I liked were Pivovarský dùm and Pivovarský klub. I think they have the same owner, but I'm not sure. IIRC, klub (which I only went to twice) mostly had beers by microbrews, and dùm had beers they brewed themselves. You can get a flight at dùm, which is nice.

Here is a good technique for finding a decent restaurant in Prague:

Step 1: Are you in a touristy area? If so, walk 3-4 blocks away from it.
Step 2: Walk into a random restaurant.

As for Budapest, good luck. I didn't like any of the restaurants I found there, nor did I care for the local beer. And after living in Prague, the beer seemed outrageously priced. (It's around what you'd pay at a bar in America.)

In Vienna I used the same technique as I used in Prague, and I found a really excellent brewpub with the best ribs I've ever had. They had 2 beers on tap: red and white. Both were excellent. Unfortunately, I don't remember where this place was.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:51 AM   #9
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts

In Prague you can buy FRESH Pilsner Urquell and Budvar just about anywhere. I highly recommend trying each of these beers at least once while you can, especially Budvar.

On-Deck:

Primary: Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul;

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Pumpkin Saison; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild

Old 03-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
BadMrFrosty
Recipes 

Wesjmc, you have committed a major internet faux pas. You asked a question, got several helpful replies but never once did you come back to thank any of us. I wont be answering any more of your questions.

Quick Reply