Beer is not clearing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max2012

Reaction score
When I was brewing one of my lagers I forgot to put a tablet of Irish moss and now my beer looks like a muddy water. Two weeks ago I added there a pack of Isinglas (consist of 2 packs where you add fluid from a small bag and an hour later fluid from the bigger bag). No improvement. It is lagered at +10C (50F). On the picture it is clearly seen on the right vs clear beer on the left. Please help, what should I do?

Beer-muddy.jpg

Mine usually settle out clear or slightly misty in three weeks. Four weeks tops. Then after a couple days in bottles they clear up nicely. During fridge time moreso,which is sorta like lagering/cold crashing all in one.

Mine usually settle out clear or slightly misty in thre weeks. Four weeks tops. Then after a couple days in bottles they clear up nicely. During fridge time moreso,which is sorta like lagering/cold crashing all in one.

What clearing agent do you use?

If you use no Moss then it will take a bit longer to clear but it will clear quite a bit even without it. Place in cold storage and let it sit for a few weeks then check it...repeat as necessary until you reach what you would call acceptable clarity.

If you let the yeast do their job, you should get a pretty clear beer with proper fermentation. I did a beer with no irish moss or any other clearing agents and no strainer and I got clear beers by simply letting the yeast work and then doing a good job rackign the beer to secondary.

What clearing agent do you use?
None. Ever. Just a good process & patience. Let the beer hit FG,however long that takes. Then give it another 3-7 days to clean up by products & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then 3-4 weeks carbing/conditioning at warm room temps. Then at least 1 week fridge time. Boom. Crystal clear pour. See my gallery if in doubt.

Thank you guys for your input. The problem is that this beer is about a month old. When it starts to clear you usually can see the process from the top. Not here. That is why I start to panic a little. I am surprised why the Isinglas did not do the job. Also there are other agents around like Gelatin or that plastic powder (forgot the name). Did anyone use those? What is the outcome?

In my experiences,if you use a low to medium flocculation yeast,you'll have to take more time & care to settle it out. Or if you do biab,it needs a fineer crush,& will go into bottles slightly misty,taking a couple days to settle out almost clear. A week in the fridge settles it out crystal clear,ime.

If you want the beer to clear, don't lager it at 50 degrees F. That isn't any different than the fermentation temperature; yeast isn't going to flocculate out at the temperature it naturally ferments at. Try lagering it at 33-35 and see what it looks like in a month.

Isinglas doesn't work on lager yeast, you can't fine it away (something to do with the cell wall)

That sounds like an old wives's tale.

mooshimanx said:
That sounds like an old wives's tale.

May do, but it's correct. Same reason lager yeast 'bottom ferment', the co2 bubbles stick to the cells like ale yeast cells which causes them to 'top ferment'

May do, but it's correct. Same reason lager yeast 'bottom ferment', the co2 bubbles stick to the cells like ale yeast cells which causes them to 'top ferment'

I think this is also an urban legend. Lager yeast "bottom ferment" because for the majority of the yeast flocculates out at the low fermentation temperatures.

In any case, the concept you can't fine lager yeast is almost certainly false and I don't know where you heard that. There are literally no sources I can find that repeat this information.

mooshimanx said:
I think this is also an urban legend. Lager yeast "bottom ferment" because for the majority of the yeast flocculates out at the low fermentation temperatures.

In any case, the concept you can't fine lager yeast is almost certainly false and I don't know where you heard that. There are literally no sources I can find that repeat this information.

Institute of brewers and distillers, it was on the general certificate of brewing exam.

Back