Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer Not Appropriate for Royal Wedding

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
pwndabear
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Default Beer Not Appropriate for Royal Wedding

Being reported by The Daily Mirror:
Quote:
Prince William and Kate Middleton have banned guests from drinking beer at their wedding reception.

In a move that is sure to disappoint party-loving Best Man Prince Harry, ale will not be served at Buckingham Palace after they tie the knot next Friday.

The prospect of guests downing pints has been deemed unsuitable for such a prestigious occasion.

Instead, the couple will treat their 650 guests to flutes of champagne and wine to accompany their canapés as they mingle in the palace’s 19 state rooms.

A source confirmed yesterday: “There won’t be any beer.

“Let’s face it, it isn’t really an appropriate drink to be serving in the Queen’s presence at such an occasion.

“And while the younger royals enjoy a pint from time to time, neither Kate nor William is a big beer drinker so they decided to leave it off the menu.

INVITED

“It was always their intention to give their guests a sophisticated experience and they have chosen the food and drink with this in mind.”

Chief royal chef Mark Flanagan has given a taster of what the chosen few invited inside the Palace from 12.40pm on Friday can expect to enjoy.

His team of 21 trusted chefs are already hard at work preparing to serve 15,000 canapés, followed by a three-course evening meal for a select 300 of Kate and William’s closest friends and family.

Using the finest locally sourced British ingredients, the chefs will make quail’s eggs with celery salt, mini Yorkshire puddings with roast beef, and mini sausage rolls.

They will be served on gold plates by waiters discreetly circulating among the crowds.

But neither groom William, 28, nor bride Kate, 29, will be drinking alcohol because they want to remain sober to savour the unique occasion.

Friends of Kate have previously revealed she has never been a big drinker, preferring to remain in control and sip just one glass of wine.

A pal from her gap year in Florence said: “She would like a glass of wine but couldn’t really handle her drink. She’d get giggly and silly after a few glasses, so then she would stop. She was never interested in getting really drunk. She never ever let herself get out of control.”

And while she was occasionally pictured coming out of London society nightclubs such as Mahiki and Boujis, Kate always maintained her composure.

But William’s younger brother Harry is still very much in his partying days.

It was only in February that he was pictured bleary-eyed coming out of a London burlesque club. Very much one of the lads and in his element serving in the armed forces, Harry, 26, frequently opts for a pint of beer on a night out.

And his on-off girlfriend Chelsy Davy, 25, was spotted enjoying beer and punch as she partied the night away at a music festival in Zimbabwe over the New Year.

News of the beer ban could also disappoint William’s stag do pals such as Guy Pelly, Tom Inskip, Harry Meade and Tom Van Straubenzee.

And it will also be a let-down to the beer companies who have tried to cash in on the royal wedding by launching products for the event.

Castle Rock brewery in Nottingham has just sold 70,000 bottles of its Kiss Me Kate beer to Morrisons.

Kate and William were due to enjoy a quiet weekend away from the crowds today as they prepare to marry next week in front of two billion television viewers worldwide.
Ok, I am definitely not one to keep up with the current events of celebrities (or royal wedding for that matter) in the very least. I hate the garbage that is constantly spewed forth in our newspapers and magazines that are considerably dumbing down our cultures in a daily basis. Seriously, who gives a flying rats ass on who lost 15 pounds and who has cellulite or what royal wedding is taking place next.

When I was on my way into work today I heard a small news snippet on NPR very quickly summarizing the news article quoted above and I became enraged. Most of us on here appreciate good beer and the time and effort that is put into the making of said good beer. Most of us are aware that the beginnings of actual civilization can be attributed to beer. And most of us on here feel that a good craft brew is on par with a fine wine (if not better) and should be treat as such with all respect due to it.

Then why is it that these snobby assholes feel the need to publicly shame beer? Do they think that all beer is budlight or stella and people cannot control themselves while drinking beer? This news beckons frustration and annoyance and has definitely made me care about the royal wedding in the sense that I really loathe and despise the negative connotations given to beer especially when they are propgated by utter snobbery by a royal family that knows no better on the true virtues of beer (which said negative connotations will undoubtedly give rise to the uneducated masses following suit and turn their noses up at our fine craft)

So you want to be a leader? You want to change the game?
Turn your back on money, walk away from fame.
You want to be a missionary? Got that missionary zeal?
Let a stranger change your life, how's that make you feel?
You want to be a writer but don’t know how or when?
Find a quiet place use a humble pen.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
Nightbiker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm suitably disgusted. I'm also quite surprised by this because the British are a people who enjoy their Ales -and since the royals have taken a lot of heat over the last decade (being viewed as an expense the taxpayers can't really afford anymore) you would THINK they would put a little thought into NOT insulting the 'commoners'.
What a bunch of snobs. I WAS going to hoist a pint of my best in their honor and to their long life. I'll still pull a pint or two, but it won't be to honor THEM or anyone else who thinks Beer is too low-brow.
As Bender (a beer loving robot if ever there was one) says: They can kiss my shiny metal --- )

GOT BEER?
FERMENTING:
LAGERING/CONDITIONING:Simply Sweet Mead
Kegged: Big Bad Brown Ale (Brown Ale and Porter blend).
Bottled:

Plans: Oak-Smoked Porter, Honey Brown Ale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
we do it for the love of beer! Not for the love of money! We can all make great BEER! Not so much when it comes to money!

Old 04-25-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
weagle05
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Fermented grapes are way classier than fermented grain...

Old 04-25-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
Whippy
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I'll have a pint in honour of Harry on the day of the royal wedding....and then I'll have another.

I am SO thankful to the founders of this country that I do not live in a Monarchy. ALL human beings are equal regardless of what conditions you were born in or what conditions you live in.

Anyone who thinks I should divert my eyes from them or kiss their wrinkly hand, queen or no queen, will get nothing but a middle finger from me!

Two weeks to ferment, two more in the kegs
but in just one night it was drained to the dregs

Old 04-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

I have no idea why the Brits still pay to keep around the monarchy.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 42

It's their own wedding, they can decide what they want to do, can't they?

If you decide to serve Old Milwaukee at your own wedding, that's your choice too.

M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4838 Times on 4438 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Who give a flying feck?

They won't be sealing their vows with a kiss either. Big deal.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
pwndabear
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck View Post
It's their own wedding, they can decide what they want to do, can't they?

If you decide to serve Old Milwaukee at your own wedding, that's your choice too.

M_C
you're absolutely right--they can have whatever they choose, but being in the public spotlight, they dont to have a press-release denouncing beer as an unsophisticated drink. thats just snobbish and an insult trying to prove that they are "better" than something.

It's simply more attention for the attention-starved. And what makes me even more mad is they got me to play their game like a little kid being offered candy and being told to get in the van.

So you want to be a leader? You want to change the game?
Turn your back on money, walk away from fame.
You want to be a missionary? Got that missionary zeal?
Let a stranger change your life, how's that make you feel?
You want to be a writer but don’t know how or when?
Find a quiet place use a humble pen.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:18 PM   #9
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The issue here is this is the ROYAL wedding. These people live under a constant microscope. I mean, when is the last time that either of the princes spent a day in their boxers watching a sports game while eating a frozen pizza and drinking beer? (While I can not confirm, I will guess that "never" would be pretty close.)

The royal family is an equivalent to our flag, they are a symbol to the people. Part of being a good symbol is living up to the title. How many words can you think of (not in a joking or snide way) to describe the word "royal"? I do not think my list would have included beer/ale anywhere...

BTW I care more about the rotation of Mars than I do about the Royal family but I am not British...

Old 04-25-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
nickharbour
Troll
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The institution of royalty, like slavery, should be fundamentally appalling to all free people even if kept as a symbolic one. Its a symbol that some people are born above others and is a relic of our species darker past that should not be tolerated in any form. I find it odd that so many Americans give a **** about this at all.

Now as for the beverage... are they using English wines? I'm no wine expert but it seems that England has better Ales than wines so I'm guessing they plan on importing their wines from France for the wedding. Granted, the English royal family is French in origin but still...

Quick Reply