Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer made my mouth and throat numb

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 12:02 AM   #11
BobbiLynn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 389

I wish I did have someone else here to try it. If I have developed an allergic reaction to it, I'm going to be really upset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinj View Post
id be surprised if the temp was too much warmer on the upper shelf if the whole room is temp controlled

how does it taste? i'd imagine if it was phenol related you'd easily taste it
I actually was so taken back by the numbing sensation that I hadn't thought about the taste. Now tasted more, mouth/lips feeling numb again, not sure how to describe the taste, partially because my tongue feels numb and hard to tell. Medicinal, or kind of like a clove cigarette? Combination of these 2 things.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 12:09 AM   #12
sloanfamilydsm
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Yeast can cause chlorphenolics when the water contains chloramine and no treatment is done. Doesn't seem relevant for this situation except that phenol is the active ingredient in those throat numbing sprays you can buy over the counter.

Maybe the higher fermentation temp caused the yeast to react adversly with the chloramine causing some kind of phenol compound??

Does the brew have that medicinal taste?

Old 01-11-2013, 12:17 AM   #13
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloanfamilydsm View Post
Does the brew have that medicinal taste?

Yes, and some type of acidic aftertaste on my tongue now that the numbing is going away again. Just looked up phenol taste, should have thought of that, and yes, it has that taste. My smeller doesn't work too good, so hard to tell by that.

But I don't understand how that can be then, same well water I always use, never had a problem.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:23 AM   #14
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

I just realized something after looking up a few things up. The hot tub, draining the hot tub, it's close to the well. Am I overthinking this now or did I contaminate my water?

Old 01-11-2013, 12:35 AM   #15
Hlmartin22
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

We need to consider the fact that just because it is an extract brew batch you have done before does not confirm that quality control was actively and closely regulated... Could be the hot tub, could be bad QC, could be developed allergy; without further information provided on recipe, secondary taster, or intensive chemical testing it's kind of hard for us to help you!

How about a recipe to start? Don't get upset and think that we are calling you incompetent! We're all here to help and to learn

Old 01-11-2013, 12:36 AM   #16
sloanfamilydsm
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Like the other posts I'd say put that beer in the corner and see if age will help. Start your next batch and sulfite the water first if there is concern of chlorine or chloramine.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:52 AM   #17
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Recipe:
3.5 lb, 2-row malt
1 lb crystal 40L malt
5 lb extra pale ale extract
bittering hops: 1 oz German Northern Brewer
flavor/aroma hops: 1 oz... it just says "Cluster"

I am a beginner so forgive me if I did not post recipe correctly.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:08 AM   #18
Hlmartin22
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

It seems extremely likely to me that you have indeed found some contaminant in either your water source or from QC in the extract derivative. I would be careful about the amount you consume until you figure out the exact issue or the problem subsides over time. Certainly being on a top shelf is not the issue unless you have a 50 ft ceiling .

Unfortunately sometimes you just have to forgo a batch for unknown contamination or terrible flavor profiles.

But best of luck and I look forward to knowing how it turns out

We're rooting for you and your beer!

Old 01-11-2013, 01:19 AM   #19
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Could be chlorophenols from chlorine in your water or fusel alcohol from too high of a fermentation temp and stressed yeast. I've had both and they both cause me strange and numbing/burning mouth sensations. If it tastes like cloves and medicine it is chlorine in your water, if it tastes like taking a shot of whisky with your beer and burns all the way down it is fusels.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:33 AM   #20
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbiLynn View Post
After reading through these topics, I have deduced that the higher fermenting temp, from being on a top shelf, instead of the floor in the darkest corner of the room, it produced phenols, the cause of the numbing sensation. Do you think I am correct?
Yes and I can prove it. Take a 4 oz. pour of lager or other mild beer, then take a bottle of Chloraseptic throat spray (preferably not flavored but if it is it should still work.) Spray 6-12 pumps into the beer glass, swirl it around and taste it. I will bet it tastes similar and does the same effect or it is fusels.

You can try to age the beer out but IME when beers have to high a concentration, even if the flavor and effect fades, give me SPLITTING headaches from drinking them due to the fusel levels. My buddy can drink a them all night and feel just fine in the morning so it may be worth a try to age it out. YMMV.

Quick Reply