Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer in London

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2011, 01:47 AM   #1
mkultra69
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beer in London

Heading to London at the end of next month and one of the many things I'm excited about is the beer/ pubs. So for the people that live over there or have been in and around London, what's some good beer places? I'll be staying in south kensington and we will not be renting a car so some what close to a tube stop would be good. Also, what are some good beers I should be on the look out for? Really any and all beer info I could get be for I go would be great. The travel guides just don't give to much info, other than pups are cool you should go to one. Any ways thanks.

Live better buy union

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2011, 04:09 AM   #2
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Don't walk into any pups, they might bite.

There should be a couple of bars within walking distance. Go to any, and work your way along the line of taps. Stick to draft, and you will find lots of variety.

Don't expect any wheat or Belgians, just Mild, Bitter, Pale Ale, ESB, and IPAs, and if you are lucky, a Porter or Barley Wine. You probably could get a Budweiser, but it will be in a can and will cost a small fortune. Wrong part of the country for Owd Roger (Burton) or Old Peculier (Masham), but if you find either on draft, give them a try ...... but be careful, they are potent.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:25 AM   #3
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 15

in the south kensington area, go to janet's bar and the queen's arms. janets is a little quieter, but still not quiet. janet will talk to you, and is very educated; she's done the law thing, etc. queen's arms gets very loud but fun; depends on how late you get there

Taps:
1: Honey Malt APA
2: Roasted ESB (mistake by the LHBS in recipe)
3: Skeeter Pee

Fermenting: Hoegarden Saison, German Pilsner

Old 02-26-2011, 05:05 AM   #4
mkultra69
Recipes 

Thanks for the in put. Ill try to avoid the pups Was posting from my iphone on a pretty bumpy ferry ride on the way home from work. Milds and bitters are some of my favorite styles so looking forward to those. Are pubs family friendly for the most part? Ill be traveling with my wife and 7 year old daughter.

Live better buy union

Old 02-26-2011, 05:20 AM   #5
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Love Queens Arms it was actually pretty quiet last time I was there not too crowded.

If you're a poker player by chance I highly recommend the Grosvenver Victoria on the east side of Kensington. Quite possibly the worst poker players I've ever played against...easy money.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:23 AM   #6
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 38 Posts

I stayed there for two nights a couple of years ago.

The Churchill Arms was a Fuller's pub I liked a lot.

The Earl of Lonsdale is a really cool Sam Smith pub (not common in London) with about 10 hand pumps. Highly recommended.

You won't have a hard time finding a good beer though.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
monkeydan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I would recommend:

'Cask' in Pimlico, not too far from South Ken - LOTS of taps and a massive beer menu, lots of imported bottles from Belgium (and the US but probably at about 10 times the cost you guys over there get it for!)

'Drafthouse' nr Clapham Junction - there are three of these around London but the Clapham one is the only one I have been to. Again, good selection of draft / cask beers

'The Swan' in Hammersmith. Probably about 10 different cask beers from all over the country - they generally have a few on tap permanently and many guest ales. Was there after work yesterday evening in fact...

Düschbehg Brewery... since 2011

Old 02-26-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

The White Horse, on Parson's Green, usually has a decent list of beers on. You go to the Parson's Green tube stop and it's very near there. When I exit, I head to the right, but I suppose it depends on which exit or whatnot. It's ON Parson's Green though. They're not a tied house, so you can get a range of beers there and they usually have some decent indy stuff.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
ghack
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Pick up a CAMRA (campaign for real ale) pub guide. It will let you know what pubs in whatever area you are in have real ale. Definitely worth the trouble.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #10
WTF_Brewing
Recipes 

Be prepared, many pubs over there are in buildings that were built before the US Constitution was written. That being said, some places still don't refergerate the beer. Its kept in the cellar at about 55 degrees, so needless to say, most Americans don't like it.
I personally love the variety on tap in English pubs. Everything from ciders to Stouts.

The one pub I used to hang out in when I was at RAF Fairford years ago, used to make what they called diesel fuel, which was .5 pint of beer (Carling IIRC, but may have been Harp...I was pretty drunk most of the time) and .5 pint Stongbow cider with a dash of what I think was raspberry cordial (I think that's what she told me, its been like 12 years).
The raspberry stuff turned it kinda red hence the diesel fuel name. That was some of the best stuff ever!
One thing's for sure, you'll have fun trying the different beers there!

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS