Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer Law: "While Brewing, Drink Beer"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #21
JuanKenobi
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I fall back to Papazian who includes 'a liter of stout' on his list of necessary equipment for brewing.

Primary: Black IPA
Secondary: Maibock
Kegged:
Bottled:
Pouring: IPA
lowtones84 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #22
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FensterBos View Post
So, I was watching Dirty Jobs a few weeks ago and Mike Rowe and the crew was at Coastal Extreme Brewing Co. They mentioned the unwritten law that while someone brews beer they must drink beer. They mentioned what the law was called, but I can't find it anywhere.
Does anyone know what this "law" is called? And no, it isn't RDWHAHB
It is popularly known as "The Law of 180 Out Of Phase From Rico's Law." I watched that episode of Dirty Jobs, and I have got the full brewery tour at Coastal Extreme, and partaken of their excellent beer. And, no, I don't drink while brewing, not until the beer is in the fermenter and everything cleaned up and put away. When I'm messing around with propane fires, boiling liquids and the hazards appertaining thereto, plus keeping track of things and hitting all my marks = no drinking, except H2O. Not no how, not no way. I get plenty of suds at other times.

As the Duke is famous for saying, "-others may do as they please."

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

iambeer Likes This 
Old 04-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #23
Big_Belgian
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

We always try to drink whatever style we're brewing. Last weekend I did a Dussledorf style alt. I couldn't quite stomach the cost of a Uerige Sticke ($4.50 for 11 oz bottle), but fortunately was able to find a local micro that makes an alt (Tyranea's "Headless Man") to fill in.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #24
blkandrust
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

To the beer gods !!!!!!!!!

Lady Astor-"If you were my husband,I would poison your drink"

Winston Churchill-"If you were my wife,I'd drink it"

Old 04-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #25
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I guess I usually break the law too. I brew early, and prefer to wait till I pitch the yeast before I get sideways.
yes, this is my norm. i like to finish around 1-2 in the afternoon latest, so I'm still drinking coffee for most of my brew session.
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 04-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #26
MDRex
Recipes 

We normally drink while brewing, but I find that we really drink very slowly and don't even get the slightest buzz going. But when we sit down once the brewing is complete, that's a different story.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #27
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

We obeyed this law last night while brewing... I brought some of my previous batches to partake of... On the menu was the Boddington clone as well as Dirty Old Man... My brew-buddy's wife loved the title of DOM...

We started drinking as our mashes were going, and we were bottling... A very productive evening to be certain. Since we took our time drinking, due to other activities, I didn't even feel the effects of the alcohol in the brews.

Looks like we'll be doing brew/bottle days/evenings moving forward... Makes for a busy session, for certain, but it's very productive.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 04-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #28
BeerWard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A hot scotchy after the mash is mandatory, so drinking is the rule. I usually get things set up in the AM. I start mashing in usually at noon, and enjoy lunch and a brew then.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #29
kuphish
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post
And, no, I don't drink while brewing, not until the beer is in the fermenter and everything cleaned up and put away. When I'm messing around with propane fires, boiling liquids and the hazards appertaining thereto, plus keeping track of things and hitting all my marks = no drinking, except H2O. Not no how, not no way. I get plenty of suds at other times.

As the Duke is famous for saying, "-others may do as they please."
This is my approach, as well. The few times I've brewed and drank together, I usually forget somethig, despite my brewday checklist. It was always something minor, but still.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:44 AM   #30
FatherJack
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

I usually wait until I get my boil going before I start tipping 'em back. Even then, I don't tip back more than a pint during the entire process (two if I'm thirsty!)

The only exception was when a buddy came over and we started brewing at 9:30am and had a coffee oatmeal stout.

Primary: Beer
Bottled: Beer
Future Brews: Beer

Quick Reply