The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer for the ladies

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #21
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky71 View Post
I guess i'll just be sexist by saying a woman that can make her brew or appreciate a nice craft brew is damn appealing!
Haha- that's one sexist comment that is nice to hear.

We joke around my house all that time about a woman brewing all the beer. One time, we were running low on beer in the kegerator and Bob said something like, "Woman, go into the brewery and make me some beer. And a sammich." I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes.

He asked me yesterday what "Two row barley" meant. I explained how it was different from six row barley. He pretends to be very knowledgeable and nods and then says ridiculous things about brewing (to pretend he brews) and said, "Oh, yes. That's why I like that six row barley in IPAs." I said, "No. No you don't. You like six row in cream ale and classic American pilsner." His response: "Yes, that's right. That's what I meant. I like that grainy flavor of six row in cream ale!" He's learning.

One thing that I want to point out about this forum- there are probably more women around than you think. Our avatars and IDs are not usually gender specific. There are more men, certainly, but it should be kept in mind that this is a homebrewing forum, and not a guys' hobby forum. I have almost always been treated with respect as a brewer, and not as a girl, on this forum and that is part of why this forum is so great.

Women brew. They drink beer. Many times I've been insulted in homebrew stores and/or ignored. I've had bartenders put a slice of orange in my beer, without asking because I'm a girl or offer me a nice fruit beer. But other brewers have been respectful and treat me like just another brewer.
Rocky71 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #22
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 20

My wife just had me brew her a Wit and a Coffee Stout that she can drink after our son is born. She's also getting a taste for barrel aged sours, which is not good for our bank account.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #23
schmidty65
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

In my 'spare' time, I build sets for a local theater. They let me in front of the curtain occasionally, too, so I've also hosted my share of cast parties. At a few of them and in other gatherings, I've had samplings. This is a wide array of tastes in this bunch, including many who 'hate' beer. From the ones I've brewed and put out for sampling, it seems the Saison has been the most popular by the broadest assortment of people in my circles.
... but I've heard that Cream Ale fits that bill, too. We'll see in about a month, when I have Saison on one tap and Cream Ale on the other of my (hopefully finished by then) kegerator.

ON TAP!: Vanilla Porter, Hoppy Wheat
Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled:
--Beer:
--Wine:
Kegged:
--Saison
Drinking:
--Beer: Rye IPA, Irish Ale, Saison, Doppelbock, Winter Warmer, Bavarian Dunkel, Honey Brown Ale
--Wine: Spanish Rioja, Chocolate Raspberry Port, NZ Sauvignon Blanc
Up next: Winter Warmer, English Ale, and maybe DFH 90 Clone

Old 06-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #24
aristurtle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My wife doesn't like hops, and I do, so it's hard to find a beer we both like. We made a cider together once, back-sweetened with pomegranate concentrate, and that was a big hit. A lot less work than beer-making, too!

Old 06-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #25
Raenon
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

In my experience, more women say they don't like beer... but when they drink any beer, are often more open minded about different styles.

Most men are willing to drink a beer, but more of them are dismissive of anything that doesn't fit their preconceived notions that it should be a fizzy and yellow american light.

"Beer for the ladies" in this case should perhaps be termed instead as "gateway homebrew", which would be any easy to drink style that doesn't scare off BMC drinking types with massive bitterness, alcohol burn, or thick consistency. This would share a LOT of ground with session beers that even beer snobs can appreciate

Old 06-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #26
landshark
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 24

If I was brewing for a female. Say... My SWMBO, I'd brew a Coffee Stout, then an IPA, and then a true American Pilsner. And only in that order.

Anybody who says they don't like beer hasn't tried enough different styles in my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
OK, So I searched "Betty White nude" ...........At the top of the results, instead of 'Did you mean......" it asked "Are you f#cking serious?....."

Old 06-18-2012, 02:17 PM   #27
beerloaf
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I brew a Strawberry Blond that is very similar to Pete's Wicked Stawberry Blond that the ladies like. It smells and tastes like strawberries but not ver bearing.

beerloaf

"Look, let me explain something to you. I'm not Mr. Lebowski. You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That or His Dudeness... Duder... or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing." -The Dude

Old 06-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #28
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenon View Post
In my experience, more women say they don't like beer... but when they drink any beer, are often more open minded about different styles.

Most men are willing to drink a beer, but more of them are dismissive of anything that doesn't fit their preconceived notions that it should be a fizzy and yellow american light.

"Beer for the ladies" in this case should perhaps be termed instead as "gateway homebrew", which would be any easy to drink style that doesn't scare off BMC drinking types with massive bitterness, alcohol burn, or thick consistency. This would share a LOT of ground with session beers that even beer snobs can appreciate
It took my wife a long time to realize it isn't beer she doesn't like, it's BMC beers and the hop bombs I gravitate toward. She loves yeast-forward styles like wheat beers and darker stuff like porters and stouts.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:04 AM   #29
Rocky71
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Haha- that's one sexist comment that is nice to hear.

We joke around my house all that time about a woman brewing all the beer. One time, we were running low on beer in the kegerator and Bob said something like, "Woman, go into the brewery and make me some beer. And a sammich." I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes.

He asked me yesterday what "Two row barley" meant. I explained how it was different from six row barley. He pretends to be very knowledgeable and nods and then says ridiculous things about brewing (to pretend he brews) and said, "Oh, yes. That's why I like that six row barley in IPAs." I said, "No. No you don't. You like six row in cream ale and classic American pilsner." His response: "Yes, that's right. That's what I meant. I like that grainy flavor of six row in cream ale!" He's learning.

One thing that I want to point out about this forum- there are probably more women around than you think. Our avatars and IDs are not usually gender specific. There are more men, certainly, but it should be kept in mind that this is a homebrewing forum, and not a guys' hobby forum. I have almost always been treated with respect as a brewer, and not as a girl, on this forum and that is part of why this forum is so great.

Women brew. They drink beer. Many times I've been insulted in homebrew stores and/or ignored. I've had bartenders put a slice of orange in my beer, without asking because I'm a girl or offer me a nice fruit beer. But other brewers have been respectful and treat me like just another brewer.
Lol. Thanks for sharing the stories! I've actually posted very little but you are one of the brewers I've learned a lot from. I mostly read and then read some more. So thank you for sharing your expertise and your recipes! I've got an IPA aging in an oak barrel, a peach mead aging, and a hard lemonade finishing up. Nothing sexier then a female brewer and I mean that with respect though I know it can be taken many ways.

There is a group here locally, and probably all over the US, that's called Barely's Angels that is an awesome group. There is also an all female brewing club that I see at many Iowa brew fests that are amazing.

I'm saddened there are not more female brewers in the industry. I know there are a lot female brewers around and I hope to see more. One local brew club has one female brewer. It's kind of sad as I've never drank a female brewers creation that wasn't awesome!

Cheers to you all!

Old 06-19-2012, 02:45 AM   #30
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdyjackal View Post
What beer would you make for the ladies?
4 year old Mead and Oatmeal Stout always make points.

Quick Reply