The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer for the ladies

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #11
Paul07293
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I don't think you want to get the "chick beer" discussion going. Good taste in beer is not gender specific. My wife enjoys sour belgian ales so I'd be making a Flanders Red.

"I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer."- Homer Simpson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #12
Spartan1979
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 82

My wife likes IPA's. The hoppier the better.

She's been drinking a lot of the Gumballhead clone I made.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #13
TarVolon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My sister hates almost all beer. Her favorite is Highland's Black Mocha Stout.

In general, for people who are not beer drinkers, I get the impression that this is anomalous, and that the general preference is for something light and possibly fruity. That's not universal, but assuming women who don't like beer is your target demographic, it's probably your best bet.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #14
TrubDog
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

On weekends my wife and I usually go out for lunch and most times it is to a brewpub or place that has a variety of beer on tap. We often order a sampler and she usually finds one she really likes. Inevitably she she asks me if I can brew that style next. I have two kegs and i usually have one beer to my liking and one she has requested. Currently have a Waldo Lake Amber for me and a Kolsch for her (but she also likes the amber). She typically likes lighter beers, but she also surprises me from time to time.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #15
rejart
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 21

My wife is happy with everything from a wee heavy to an IIPA, just so it's flavorful and not watered down tasting like most BMC stuff.

Primary: Belgian Dubbel
Bottled: Belgian IPA, Mild, Wild Saison
On Tap: Graf, English IPA, Belgian Blond
On Deck: Scottish 80/-, RyePA

Old 06-18-2012, 01:07 AM   #16
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

1. The blatant sexism has already been addressed so I won't add to that

2. Why do some brewers always feel the need to brew specific recipes to please a very specific group of people? Just keep some blue moon, light lager or wine [coolers] around for the people that don't enjoy the styles of beer you make! That way you don't build up the anticipation, people don't have to lie to preserve you feelings if they don't like something you brewed specifically for them, and you don't get let down if you can't do it. Some people just don't like beer!

That said, a nice wit, fat tire clone, kolsch or cream ale are good general crowd pleasers!

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 06-18-2012, 02:14 AM   #17
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1188

Ever heard of a commercial beer called Chick beer?
Its an ok lager really.Very gimmicky call that sexist if you will.But to me its just a novelty marketing thing,feel free to be offended though.

Ipa's have grown on my fiance big time since ive been sharing many research/hombrews. Ive gotten better at ipa's(simply by mainly adding more hops=duh?) Ive come to realize though how much i like american red ales ipas or not i think that is my favorate style.She does not like "dark"beers but i can get her to drink a india brown and black ipa.Just no roasty stouts.Even though she is a cofffee freak but loves her creamer.So it must be like black coffee to her-the way i see it. She at least understands there is flavor aroma and good actual taste potential to most beer.She just doenst know what the hell type of beer she is trying all the time and quickly forgets.
I think wheats are good gateway beers sometimes.Im shure a good mild ale can ease someone into trying new things as well.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:40 AM   #18
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
Ever heard of chic or chick-beer? Its an ok lager really.Very gimmicky call that sexist if you will.But to me its just a novelty marketing thing,feel free to be offended though.
Ipa's have grown on my fiance big time since ive been sharing many research/hombrews. Ive gotten better at ipa's(simply by mainly adding more hops=duh?) Ive come to realize though how much i like american red ales ipas or not i think that is my favorate style.She does not like "dark"beers but i can get her to drink a india brown and black ipa.Just no roasty stouts.Even though she is a cofffee freak but loves her creamer.So it must be like black coffee to her-the way i see it. She at least understands there is flavor aroma and good actual taste potential to most beer.She just doenst know what the hell type of beer she is trying all the time and quickly forgets.
I think wheats are good gateway beers sometimes.Im shure a good mild ale can ease someone into trying new things as well.
What?

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 06-18-2012, 03:00 AM   #19
Rocky71
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I guess i'll just be sexist by saying a woman that can make her brew or appreciate a nice craft brew is damn appealing!

Old 06-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #20
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Well, my wife likes them all! Recently made a black IPA at her request and her favorite beer I brew is a Black Ale from Austin Homebrew. Her favorite commercial beer is Youngs Double Chocolate Stout. She drinks everything I make and also hated the strawberry blonde I made something sexy about a woman drinking a flavorful, dark beer.

Quick Reply