Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer labels and caps!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
Skullfingr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 31

Default Beer labels and caps!

Hi.
I recently found a site that'll do custom printed caps pretty cheap but I was wondering what the best way to get a custom label printed at the best price. Any ideas?

"Beer is both the cause, and the solution, to all of life's problems." - H. Simpson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 12:05 AM   #2
Jaehnig
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

You can actually get software and design and print them yourself. Just takes "start-up" costs and supplies. I may look into it someday. Usually your friendly LHBS has labels and can otherwise lead you in the right direction.

V/R,
BrewTech

V/R,
BrewTech

Skullfingr Likes This 
Old 08-29-2012, 12:06 AM   #3
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 290 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I use bottlemark.com for caps and print my own labels on my color laser printer.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktblunden View Post
I use bottlemark.com for caps and print my own labels on my color laser printer.
At risk of hijacking the thread and turning this into a 'worth it vs not worth it' argument (not my intent):

I suppose I could just e-mail and ask them myself, but do you know if their caps are oxygen absorbing? I couldn't find that info listed anywhere on the site...
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 08-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
mcbaumannerb
Feedback Score: 37 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4457 Times on 2499 Posts
Likes Given: 14472

I recently bought some waterproof labels from onlinelabels.com. I got the 7" x 3" (3 to a sheet) and it works out to 0.20 per label (not counting your ink costs.) So far I'm happy with them - takes a while to dry but once they do they don't bleed as much as regular labels (even after running water over them for a minute.) You also get use of their online software with a purchase which makes alignment pretty simple (I used Photoshop Elements 10 to create my 7x3 image and just put it in the label and printed, but you can also build a label with the software.)

Old 08-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
ectoplasmicfunk
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The one company advertised on this forum has a pretty cool setup for labels. You should check them out:
http://zumula.com/categories/createfromscratch

Old 08-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 290 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by biochemedic View Post
At risk of hijacking the thread and turning this into a 'worth it vs not worth it' argument (not my intent):

I suppose I could just e-mail and ask them myself, but do you know if their caps are oxygen absorbing? I couldn't find that info listed anywhere on the site...
They have oxy caps available on request (I think it's 1 cent more per cap), but the caps are gold, not white like their other caps, so printing may or may not look right depending on the design.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
biochemedic

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktblunden View Post
They have oxy caps available on request (I think it's 1 cent more per cap), but the caps are gold, not white like their other caps, so printing may or may not look right depending on the design.
Yeah, you're correct...after I posted I figured "why not just go ahead and e-mail just in case no one knows," so I sent this e-mail:

Just wondering...are the caps you do your custom printing on oxygen absorbing? I see that you do sell plain oxygen absorbing (gold) caps...can you get custom printing on the oxygen absorbing type of cap?

I very promptly got this reply:
Our standard white caps are standard PVC and are not oxygen-absorbing. We can print on the gold for special orders; they don't work well with colors (especially light ones) so we encourage black-only designs for the gold. Also, we think the printing on the gold caps has about the same adhesion as the white, but they're not as well tested.

The gold oxy caps are 1¢ more ea; special orders for color are $3 unless you order more than 100, in which case there's no additional charge. And at this time we have to do them as email orders. If you'd like to do so, let me know.

So it seems as if you can also get other colors besides white, which doesn't even cost more as long as you buy more than 100 caps...he doesn't specify, but perhaps you can even get the oxygen absorbing in other colors? I think I may eventually order some caps from these guys (I have a $h!tload of other caps I have to use for now)...would be very cool to have some personalized caps, since I personally can't stand the hassle of labeling!

Old 08-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
biochemedic

Recipes 

A bit more communication from bottlemark.com:

I appreciate your quick reply! To clarify, it seems as if you can get other colors besides white with no additional charge, although you must order at least 100 caps.
That's our current (unpublished) policy, though it's kind of based on not many people wanting to do so. (Our workflow isn't yet set up to handle lots of different color orders nicely.) So I can't guarantee it'll stay like that, but it probably will for a while.

Does this mean you can get oxygen absorbing caps in a variety of colors?
I'm afraid not; the only caps we have in stock are those shown here:
http://www.bottlemark.com/shop/plain-caps

Those are: white, silver, gold, and gold oxy. I wish we did have an oxy option for more of those, but I don't think any manufacturer makes them as a stock item.

I appreciate your time; I also wanted to let you know that I'm posting this info on a thread that's been developing at www.homebrewtalk.com (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/beer...s-caps-350633/) where your service has been being discussed. I hope you get some new business as a result!

Thanks!

Old 09-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #10
Skullfingr
Recipes 

Likes Given: 31

Awesome thread, y'all!

So when you print your own, do you need a special adhesive label or an adhesive in general to apply them?

"Beer is both the cause, and the solution, to all of life's problems." - H. Simpson

Quick Reply