Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer Label Information Standards

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2009, 12:46 AM   #1
hopvine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Beer Label Information Standards

There ought to be a set of (voluntary yet widely adopted) standards that all microbreweries follow in regards to the information present on the labeling of their bottled beer. Three key pieces of information should be clearly stated, in addition to the ABV:

o Bitterness (IBU): Already present on some beers
o Color (SRM)
o Bottle conditioned/force carbonated: This would likely be the most useful, as it would tell you whether or not you need to leave the last 1/4" in the bottle during the pour.

I know it's a pipe dream, but that would be valuable information, not only to homebrewers that are interested in developing their personal bitterness/color estimations and providing the ability to mimic their favorite brews, but to spread awareness of the different metrics for characterizing beer and aid consumers in refining their tastes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2009, 01:12 AM   #2
pnj
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

AVB and what the hops/grains are would be nice. I also do my best to NOT buy beer in twist off bottles. screw those guys.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:22 AM   #3
chefchris
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnj View Post
AVB and what the hops/grains are would be nice. I also do my best to NOT buy beer in twist off bottles. screw those guys.
pun intended?

Primary: RIS, Flanders Red, Berliner Weisse

On Tap: Brown Ale, American Stout, Pumpkin Porter, Pale Ale, Uncle Muscle's IPA, Rowsdower Canadian Dry Stout

Bottled: Berliner Weisse

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 07-13-2009, 01:24 AM   #4
hopvine
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Another good point. Founders bottles all of their beers in the short fat bottles, the same shape as Sierra Nevada. However, for some reason they use twist tops, which is a horrible waste of a good beer bottle.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:38 AM   #5
thelorax121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I know that it really doesn't make a difference, but I can't help but look down on beer that comes with a screw cap...call me racist

Old 07-13-2009, 02:42 AM   #6
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

It really annoys me when I crack open a beer and find out it was a screw top, especially after I've used my bottle opener. Nowadays I actually try to twist off caps in the store before I purchase beers, to make sure they're reusable. I figure if I'm going to buy it, I might as well be able to reuse the ****ing bottles.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:45 AM   #7
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

IIRC, there are/were some states that disallow listing ABV because they're afraid it will encourage people to buy higher alcohol beer. A stupid argument, of course.

I don't care about SRM. IBUs would be nice, though I'm happy if they put them online. I actually would rather guess first.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:35 PM   #8
hopvine
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
It really annoys me when I crack open a beer and find out it was a screw top, especially after I've used my bottle opener. Nowadays I actually try to twist off caps in the store before I purchase beers, to make sure they're reusable. I figure if I'm going to buy it, I might as well be able to reuse the ****ing bottles.
Uh...what happens when you try one that actually twists off in the store?

Old 07-13-2009, 02:40 PM   #9
TexasSpartan
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
I'm the same way. Although now that I have a pretty good collection of bottles built up, I can buy some beers with twist offs.

Carboy 1: Falconer's Flight IPA
Carboy 2: Honey Jalapeno Saison

Old 07-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #10
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2035 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1115

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelorax121 View Post
I know that it really doesn't make a difference, but I can't help but look down on beer that comes with a screw cap...call me racist
Me too, but FOUNDERS beer is EXCELLENT! In their case, I'd settle for taking a few of their bottles back to the store.

Quick Reply