The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > beer and intestinal gas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 09:44 AM   #1
400d
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default beer and intestinal gas

hi guys,

i'm writing this topic because i have huge intestinal gas and cramps after beer drinking... i have tried many methods to resolve this problem, but no help, it's always the same.....

though i like to drink beer, sometimes it drives me crazy.

does anyone of you have the same problem, is there a way to solve it?

thanks alot!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Are you talking about homebrew and bottle conditioned beers specifically or ALL beers in general?

Some folks initially experience some gas and maybe some bloating when the get involved with homebrewing and drinking larger amounts of "living beers;" beers that are bottle conditioned, and have a greater percentage of yeast in it than commercial light lagers.

In most cases your body adapts/gets used to it. And actually living yeast cultures are good for us, they contain vitamin b and nutrients.

In my case it was about a year/year and a half before my stomach got used to it...and you wouldn't have wanted to be near me after a couple homebrew. It wasn't cramps, just really intense yeast farts.

Cramps may indicate something more serious, perhaps even an allergy either to the yeast or even gluten (you don't have issues with bread do you?)

No pathogens can live in beer, so nothing can grow in there that can hurt you; it's just that often people's tolerance levels to higher levels of yeast and or gluten can't handle it.....But like I said, usually you body adapts to it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-03-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's normal. The beer farts will subside after a few weeks of regular homebrew. It's your gut getting used to the yeast, is all.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 09-03-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

It's always a lot worse when the beer is consumed too early when there's a lot of yeast in suspension.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 09-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #5
FireNightFly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Graduated with Honors myself, lol.
University of Gas

Last edited by FireNightFly; 09-03-2009 at 12:58 PM.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireNightFly View Post
Graduated with Honors myself, lol.
University of Gas
Too funny!

What frat were you in? I was in Alpha Kappa Stinko, myself.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-03-2009, 01:26 PM   #7
FireNightFly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

lmao revvy!
I think I was in Fartsa Thikya Pukka. haha ... I let one go that was so bad once, the cat tried to cover me.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:30 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

The funny thing was, that all of a sudden at some point all that yeast fart stuff just stopped happening. I think it was even 6 months or more after it stopped being a regular happenning, that I even noticed my body didn't react anymore.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:42 PM   #9
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 5980 Times on 5251 Posts
Likes Given: 671

on my soapbox ----

It's not just the yeast - it's the oligosaccharides as well! They are very long complex sugars (from cell walls, yeast that don't get converted to alcohol in your beer, but the bacteria in your gut and intestines just love them!

If you make a bigger beer, you'll have more oligosaccarides.

Also, think about why chili makes you, um......

are you putting yeast in your chili?

/off soap box

Old 09-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
on my soapbox ----

It's not just the yeast - it's the oligosaccharides as well! They are very long complex sugars (from cell walls, yeast that don't get converted to alcohol in your beer, but the bacteria in your gut and intestines just love them!

If you make a bigger beer, you'll have more oligosaccarides.

Also, think about why chili makes you, um......

are you putting yeast in your chili?

/off soap box
Yeah, okay, BUT it is still very very common to us homebrewers whether it's yeast or oligowhateveryou call them....

yum chili.......

Quick Reply