Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer has a very thin watery like body

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
michaelpeach76
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beer has a very thin watery like body

Here's my recipe:
9 lbs two row pale malt
12 oz. Crystal Malt 60l
8 oz. Biscuit Malt
4 oz. Roasted Barley
1oz. Centinnial Hops 9-11 alpha% (boil 60 mins)
1/2 oz. Centinnial Hops (boil 20 mins)
1/2 oz. Centinnial Hops (boil 5 mins)
1oz. Centinnial Hops (Dry Hop 1 week)

Flavor itself turned out decent, the color good, and the aroma is really good.
The problem is the body is kinda watery. What are some possible culprits for this. The only thing I can think of would be maybe my strike water wasn't hot enough... for some reason once it hit my mash tun and the grain went in I couldn't get the mash above 149 degrees. I've read that mashing between 148 and 158 is sufficient, but could this for any reason be the culprit in creating watery beer? If not what are some other possibilities?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
ajbram
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Higher mash temps lead to unfermentable sugars which will give you more body and some residual sweetness. Lower mash temps will give you thinner dryer beers.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
michaeltrego
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Lower mash temps will result in more fermentables and less dextrines, thus a thinner body. I assume you mashed until conversion was complete and your OG/FG were reasonable?

Old 12-12-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
michaelpeach76
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltrego View Post
Lower mash temps will result in more fermentables and less dextrines, thus a thinner body. I assume you mashed until conversion was complete and your OG/FG were reasonable?
Gotcha...lower temp=more fermentables=more alcohol to thin it out. I mashed for and Hour and my SG was at 1.040. What mash temp should I strive for for optimal results in both body and fermentables?

Old 12-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
ajbram
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Depends on the style of beer and the flavour profile you are trying for. What was your FG for this batch?

Old 12-12-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
Bmorebrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

One thing about lower mash temperatures and thinner body - I seem to notice thinner body in my beers if I don't do a mash-out. For example, if I mash at 154 and just drain off the wort into my kettle, followed by a couple of batch sparges, it seems that the temperature drop during that time (which can be 20 minutes or more) is enough to continue breaking down starch resulting in a thinner beer.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
coastwx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelpeach76 View Post
Gotcha...lower temp=more fermentables=more alcohol to thin it out. I mashed for and Hour and my SG was at 1.040. What mash temp should I strive for for optimal results in both body and fermentables?
I've been mashing pretty high the last few batches, maybe a little too high at around 155. The beers are good with lots of body, but maybe a bit too much at times. This last batch I mashed at 149 and I have a beer very similar to yours. I'm going with 151-152 next time for my pale and IPA.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 35

As a personal rule of thumb, I start with 153F for most ales, and adjust up or down depending on what I want to do, but seldom by more than a couple degrees. I mash smaller beers (lower OG) a bit higher to retain some body, and bigger beers lower to avoid had a beer that's too malty/sweet.

M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:04 PM   #9
cjb
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Agreed - for a small 1.040 beer where you still want to retain some body, I would aim for the high end of the range (maybe 155-156). Again, though, it depends what you're going for.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
Whippy
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I used to feel that body did not make so much difference to me, but I mashed one of my last beers at 150F and totally ruined what was by all other accounts a really excellent beer. I wanted to get more alcohol in my beer and learned a valuable lesson. I did get the desired effect, but at the expense of lasting flavor The body of the beer is not JUST about mouthfeel, but it also affects how the taste of the beer lingers in your mouth.

I would go with what MC says, as I have also found this to be a good all-around temperature for ales...and going higher on the temp for smaller beers is also very sound advice.

Two weeks to ferment, two more in the kegs
but in just one night it was drained to the dregs

Quick Reply