The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > The beer that got you into beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #31
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
Three Philosophers and Arrogant Bastard in college did it for me. Then Stone's IPA...
Arrogant Bastard was one I had tried back when I drank Coors Light exclusively because I thought the whole concept was hilarious. I hated it. Tried it again later when I was a little more into craft beer and still hated it. Now I love it (though Double is way better).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #32
VinceF
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Stationed in Germany after college. Bischofshof hefeweizen from Regensburg, I still miss it.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #33
BeantownD
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Pete's Wicked Ale was an eye opener for me back in the college days when BMC was the typical offering. Since then I had stuck with Sam Adams/Guinness, etc. The true epiphany came when I had a Stone IPA at a brew festival in San Diego a few years ago.. the line at a beer truck was about 30 people deep all night. After my first taste, I understood why.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #34
NorCalBrewin
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Sierra Nevada pale ale, then moved to arrogant bastard, that's where it all began..

Old 09-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #35
Kmcogar
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaK
Am I the only one here that had Wells Banana Bread Beer change their perception on beer?

Not that I think it's good or that I drink it now, it just opened my eyes to a world of flavor I never thought beer would be capable of. Heh.
That actually changed my wife's perception of beer. She loves that stuff still......

Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #36
WharfRat
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Pete's Wicked Ale and Samuel Smiths Taddy Porter, sold cheap out of coolers in parking lots of concerts . Have not had either in quite some time, but wow that question really brings me back in time!

Old 09-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #37
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I moved to an apartment with my future SWMBO around the corner from Tenaya Creek Brewery here in town. Sam Adams cherry wheat was what got me trying the micro brew.. And then I started homebrewing.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #38
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Dogfish Head Raison d'etre reignited a passion for homebrewing that I had ignored since college. I just realized I haven't had any of that beer in about 4 years. I should get reaquainted.

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #39
pigsaarz
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What started it for me was not so much a good beer, but the rubbish beer. Here in Austrlia the big brewers dish up rubbish and the micro brewers, though better are still not quite right, what they sell as English bitter or I.P.A is nothing like them and what they sell as American Pale ale is nothing like them either, it is drinking the imported English and American micro brewery beers that I really appreciated the craft that has gone into them, but it doesn't end there, we will never get the perfect pint because we keep on searching for it when you think you have found it another one turns up.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #40
Cromwell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigsaarz View Post
What started it for me was not so much a good beer, but the rubbish beer. Here in Austrlia the big brewers dish up rubbish and the micro brewers, though better are still not quite right, what they sell as English bitter or I.P.A is nothing like them and what they sell as American Pale ale is nothing like them either, it is drinking the imported English and American micro brewery beers that I really appreciated the craft that has gone into them, but it doesn't end there, we will never get the perfect pint because we keep on searching for it when you think you have found it another one turns up.
+1

For me, it was the fact that I didn't like the big brews so much I didn't even drink beer, and occasionally I'd have a craft beer or an imported beer and think it was better, but not great. So I tried making my own to see if I could actually make something I liked to drink.

Primary: Beer / Secondary: Beer / Lagering: Old beer.

Quick Reply