Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > The beer that got you into beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #21
Kmcogar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I drank bud light until I started working at a bar. My step dad gave me many different craft beers I thought tasted awful. I think it was at age 22 is when my bartender buddy had accidentally poured the wrong beer for a customer. I was off work so he asked me if I wanted it. It was a Dogfish head 60 minute. My life had changed. I started with the DFH and rolled down the line of our 17 taps. When I became a bartender myself I knew it was good to know what I was selling. So the drinking began. I went from bud light to DFH to Guinness to Leffe to chimay.......well you get the point. Then I found this great homebrew store near by. I asked my step dad if he wanted to brew my kit with me. It turns out that my step dad had been brewing for the past 15 years! I never really knew. With his knowledge and my ideas we made a great amber ale.(I added a vanilla bean to make it my own)

Now I have a passion for beer. All thanks to one bartenders mistake!

Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #22
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd say DFH 60/90 were my first "OMG, WTF am I drinking this is incredible I must tell the world" beers. But I think the Belgian beers like Duvel and Chimay is what pushed me into homebrewing. Those Belgians aren't cheap....

Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Old 09-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #23
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Hofbrau Hefeweizen.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #24
ectoplasmicfunk
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Sophomore year of college, instead of getting an 18 pack of Icehouse every other night, my roommate and I stepped it up and started buying a six pack of craft beer and a 12 pack of Icehouse.

This way we could enjoy some good beer, then move onto the gnarly stuff.

We tried mostly everything at our liquor store but I would say that early on, Bell's Two Hearted was the stuff that made me really appreciate what good beer can taste like.

Eventually we transitioned entirely over to craft beer and a couple years later I started home-brewing.

"When the doors of perception are cleansed, man will see things as they truly are, infinite."
-William Blake

StrongBad42 Likes This 
Old 09-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #25
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Am I the only one here that had Wells Banana Bread Beer change their perception on beer?

Not that I think it's good or that I drink it now, it just opened my eyes to a world of flavor I never thought beer would be capable of. Heh.

Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider

Old 09-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #26
GioGomez2010
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale that I picked up from the Horno PX in Camp Pendleton while I was in. I had spent a couple of weeks buying a sixer here and there of what I thought were good beers trying them out, when I noticed the beautiful green box staring at me through the frosted glass. I went back to the barracks and drank it up, and was amazed that beer could taste so good! I've been hooked to craft brew since then.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #27
rifraf
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Three Philosophers and Arrogant Bastard in college did it for me. Then Stone's IPA...

You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #28
Premnasbiaculeatus
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Believe it or not mine wasn't a microbrew, it was yuengling traditional lager. I couldn't figure out how it was supposedly the same style of beer as budweiser. Probably the first lager I'd ever had that didn't taste like ricey yellow seltzer water (which I thought was how beer was supposed to taste at the time).

Old 09-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #29
RedBeard1
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

For me, Hevelius Kaper and Warka Strong during a semester abroad in Poland. But back in the states, it was back to BMC. Then a couple years ago I started drinking beer from O'dell and that is what made me swear off BMC for good. Well, mostly. I still tip one back on rare occasions.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #30
overpunch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I had tripel karmeliet in my freshman year of college after a long time of 40oz

Quick Reply