Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > The beer that got you into beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 04:04 AM   #121
Fizzycist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 41

In South Dakota at some little diner I had a Moose Drool and an elk cheesesteak. My appreciation for many beers has grown since but that was the first beer I ever truly enjoyed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #122
Pick
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The first beer I really liked was Duke Ale, which came in little 7 oz bottles, if I remember correctly. Sadly, it is no longer made.

Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2: Empty
Keg 1: Empty
Keg 2: Drinking Ed Wort's Apfelwein 3.5.10
Keg 3: Empty
Keg 4: Empty
Keg 5: Empty

Old 11-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #123
skw
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I grew up in Germany, thinking like so many that we have the best beer. Then I spent some time in California and wherever I went, I asked for what's local and on tap or what had the best name ("Arrogant Bastard? Awesome name, I'll have that!"). Turns out that IPA is an acquired taste, but now that I got into it, most German beers taste pretty boring to me. Thank you, Stone, 21st Amendment, Sierra Nevada and Rogue for ruining my life!

Old 11-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #124
dfc
Audio Engineer/Instructor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 122

It was a slow process. Initially (like most of us) I got started on beer like what we called the Yeti (Milwaukee's Best Ice) and Rolling Rock. We all thought Killians was dark beer. For a period of time I quit drinking altogether because I was trying to turn my life around (I have a VERY storied past with beer being the tamest of stories). Once I knew I could handle beer again I started drinking things like Bass, Heineken, Boddingtons's, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, etc. This was around 2004-2007.

Shortly after that I started going to specialty bottle shops and tried a few different beers with no real rhyme or reason. Sometimes it was because the label stood out or the beer sounded interesting. I specifically remember Chicken Killer Barley Wine, Holy Grail Ale and Dogfish Head Black & Blue. After about a year of purchasing this much more expensive beer I decided to start brewing in order to save money and like most of you, the rest is history.

BTW, I haven't kept track, but I highly doubt I've saved much money. A good 1/4 of my 2 car garage has been taken over by brewing equipment...

Kegged: Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer.
Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

Old 11-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #125
Oter
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Pyramid Hefe. We used to get them in High School as opposed to drinking Milwaukee's Beast at parties.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #126
GrogNerd
Why must it always be pandemonium?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 868 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 112

can't say it was any one beer; it was this article (that I still have) from the April '93 issue of Details magazine

after I got out of the Navy, late '93, I brewed 6 or 7 batches, mostly extract with steeping, but I did one 15-gallon partial-mash before I moved to a smaller place and had to leave my equipment at my dad's.

for 18 years. Just brewed my first batch, again extract with steeping, but this Saturday will be my first all-grain.

dang, this is an awesome hobby.

and by "hobby" I mean "obsession"

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 11-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #127
dfc
Audio Engineer/Instructor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Where is the rest of the article? I read it and got cut off...

Kegged: Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer.
Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

Old 11-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #128
RagingBull
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Miller High Life, as a kid I worked on a Tobacco farm which is hot crappy work, the farmer would bring out ice cold Miller High Life and give to the older guys. Eventually I was offered one, that ice cold Miller tasted like nectar from the Gods to me. To this day I still have a soft spot and will occassionally buy a six pack of MHL, put it in a cooler, get it ice cold and open a bottle. My comfort beer I guess.

Carbonating/Conditioning:Chocolate Porter, Old Devil Nut Brown Ale, Cape Fear Pale Ale Classic American Light1776 Lager
Fermenting: Diablo IPA, Black Forest Stout, Hellfire Red Ale
On Deck: Bewitched Amber Ale

Old 11-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #129
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Belgians...

I forced myself to try almost every Belgian Trappist, Belgian Ale, and Belgian-inspired ale out there. From Duvel to Westvleteren 8 and 12, to Fantome Saison, Brother Thelonius, Achel Blonde, Chimay, Orval, Southampton Saison, Cantillon, Westmalle, etc. etc.

Funny thing is I never really buy Belgian beers anymore. I prefer American Stouts, IPAs, Browns, and Sours by far at the present time.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #130
GrogNerd
Why must it always be pandemonium?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 868 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Where is the rest of the article? I read it and got cut off...
mea culpa

here is the entire article

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Quick Reply