Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > beer as good as a brewery!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2006, 02:56 PM   #1
boozeboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default beer as good as a brewery!

i have heard it is almost impossable to match a homebrew beer with a commercial one is this true? because i think its quite easy providing you use the right teqneques (excuse my spelling)

next up: still deciding maybe a dopplebock

primary: none

secondary: none

bottled/kegged: Honey beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2006, 03:04 PM   #2
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I would say it is possible. Although I have never done it, there are plenty who have. Biggest problem us home brewers have is we don't have the consistency that a commercial brewer has.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 04-08-2006, 03:54 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Entirely wrong for ales, but I'd say it's basically true for lagers. Lagers are so dependent on temperature management, it's tough for a homebrewer. The Widmer Collaborator project is proof that homebrewers can match the pros and sometimes beat them.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-08-2006, 03:59 PM   #4
BlightyBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The fact that my homebrew never gives me a hangover, and has 100% all natural ingredients (no additives) makes it better than every (cheap) commercial brew out there. If you are talking about cloning, give it a go...you may surprise yourself!

Old 04-08-2006, 04:12 PM   #5
Catfish
Art by David Shrigley

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 3 Posts

It all really depends on what you are trying to clone. If you want to brew a light flavored ale (or especially a lager) you will probably need more practice. (damn, i do)
if you're brewing a Porter or an American Pale Ale (something with stronger flavors, you'll have better luck). That Foster's will be hard to mimic.

Old 04-11-2006, 05:54 PM   #6
boozeboy
Recipes 

true it turned out to taste like honey ale which funny enough is my favourte beer and i was going to brew that next still i will try to get that fosters spot on (i think its because i used brewing sugar and not the reccomended cane sugar)

next up: still deciding maybe a dopplebock

primary: none

secondary: none

bottled/kegged: Honey beer

Old 04-11-2006, 06:27 PM   #7
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

Not the C word again!

Actually, I think it is very possible to produce beer that equals commercial quality at home. You simply need to understand the parameters you are working in and brew within them. If you don't have temperature control then don't brew beers that need it. If you can only do single infusion, so be it. If you brew from extract then use the best and purest and in all cases keep at least some hen scratching of what you did.

I also think if you are judging your success by how close you come to a specific commercial example (the C word fits here) then you are setting yourself up. There are just too many factors involved and it is not going to happen and more often then not maybe it shouldn't. But if you are wanting to brew a beer that is LIKE or IN THE GENERAL STYLE of a given beer, well in that case you can hit the mark dead on.

Old 04-11-2006, 09:23 PM   #8
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't think he's talking about matching the quality. I think he's talking about a true, indistiguishible clone that one could serve to friends and have them be amazed that it was something made in a garage.

Again, large commercial brewers have the ability to carefully and precisely control every aspect of brewing to a degree that very few, if any, home brewers can.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 04-11-2006, 09:31 PM   #9
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornkob
I don't think he's talking about matching the quality. I think he's talking about a true, indistiguishible clone that one could serve to friends and have them be amazed that it was something made in a garage.

Again, large commercial brewers have the ability to carefully and precisely control every aspect of brewing to a degree that very few, if any, home brewers can.
I think it is very possible to brew a beer in the style of a commercial brew and offer it side by side to your friends and ask them to tell you which is best and have them pick the homebrew.

Blind tasting is an informative way to knock the commercial guys off their perches. I know I can make a better beer, more consistantly, at home then I could at the brewery and I won GABF medals at the brewery. I also have more control at home then I did at the brewery as well.

In the end I guess I don't get the pure clone thing, no slam intended on any who love it.

Last edited by Brewpastor; 04-11-2006 at 09:34 PM.

Old 04-11-2006, 10:09 PM   #10
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewpastor
Blind tasting is an informative way to knock the commercial guys off their perches.

ok, you talked me into it, I volunteer

Quick Reply