The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer Geeks vs. Beer Snobs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2014, 08:59 PM   #1
LawnMower
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Beer Geeks vs. Beer Snobs?

What would you say, if anything separates a beer geek from a beer snob? I think beer geek has a more positive connotation...

Some of my bud light drinking friends get a little intimidated when I start talking about craft beer... I am very conscious of trying to not sound pretentious... but sometimes you cannot help but talk passionately about something you love...

Thoughts? What do you think we should be more like? Or does it really even matter?

Old 02-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1829 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 1298

I think a beer geek is someone who likes to try many different beers & styles of beers for the experience of them. A beer snob,to me,is someone that looks down their nose at lesser beings & their BMC preferences. I say drink what you like regardless. Do your own thing,but don't stop me from doing mine, thinking you're right & I'm wrong somehow. But they should at least want to try something different once in a while.

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2014, 09:29 PM   #3
Jayslay
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I guess I agree with UnionDr. I have to admit, I was at a friends house and opened his fridge to see Budweiser, and I made a snarky comment. He replied "Hey man, Budweiser is good beer". I stopped, pondered what to say next and decided against it.

That's the difference I guess. I could have rattled off a few reasons why Budweiser is fizzy corn/rice water with more in common with Sprite then beer... but I stopped. Just because I'm a beer geek doesn't mean I have to be a beer snob.

Now at home, me and wifey drop endless insults on those damned light lagers. Yuck.
Would I walk out of a liquor store because they only have BMC, your damn straight. But too each their own.

Alchemonk Tripel,Skull Old Ale, Galaxy Pale I, Raspberry Wedding Weizen, Galaxy Pale Wedding Ale
THIS MONTHS UPCOMING:

Old 02-14-2014, 09:47 PM   #4
jc5066
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A snob is one who knows what a good bear is and won't drink piss water . A geek can be the same but also knows the ins and outs of beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 02-14-2014, 09:50 PM   #5
RaHarmakis
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

The Attitude is the main differentiators as explained by Uniondr...

But you could also say:

Beer Snobs will look down on their friends for drinking a beer they fell is sub-par regardless of the reasons, while feeling superior that they, and only they have found the Nectar of the Gods.

Beer Geeks will "bore their friends to death" with the technical minutia of the brewing process and how that makes their chosen beer the best, all the while feeling superior as they know how to make the Nectar of the Gods!

Or

Beer Snobs what to change what beer people drink

Beer Geeks want their Bottles back when your done.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:54 PM   #6
MindenMan
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Or, Beer Geeks care about what they drink, Beer Snobs care about what you drink.

Last edited by MindenMan; 02-14-2014 at 09:55 PM. Reason: 2nd about
People Like This 
Old 02-14-2014, 10:07 PM   #7
Yesfan

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindenMan View Post
Or, Beer Geeks care about what they drink, Beer Snobs care about what you drink.
I like that.

I like to think I'm neither of those, but more of a "brew enthusiast". I'm not a geek as that would mean I would know as much as most of the membership here. I'm not a snob either. I don't care for the BMC swill, but one man's horse piss is another man's house beer. Who am I to judge?

I'm enthusiastic about brewing in general and want to know more about it, how to improve my brewing prowess, and in turn how to produce a better tasting beer than the last the last one I made.
Bottled: Dead Ringer IPA, Keeler's Reverse Burster Altbier, Edwort's Apfelwein (1G), cranberry/raspberry "wein" (1G), Joe's Ancient Orange Mead (2G), Petite Saison d'Ete, St Paddy's Irish Stout, Rum Runner Stout (1G), La Petite Orange, Chocolate Milk Stout
Kegged: St Paddy's Irish Stout, Chocolate Milk Stout. La Petite Orange, Dead Ringer IPA

Old 02-14-2014, 10:12 PM   #8
Wynne-R
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Budweiser IS good beer. BJCP 1B Standard American Lager, it’s listed as a commercial example.

I had a Coors Light in 1985 and I won’t have another one. But I’m not going to criticize anyone for drinking it.

I’ve been called a beer snob and I’ll take it. My friends know I don’t give a damn what they’re drinking. If they want to make fun of me for knowing about beer, I’m OK with that.

Beergeek is worse, IMO. It connotes a know it all nerd who won’t shut up about stuff no one cares about.

I self identify as a homebrewer and let everybody draw their own conclusions.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:19 PM   #9
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1276 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 516

They're pretty different to me.

Beer Snob: Judges people for drinking "lesser" beer. And thinks they know everything about beer. These are the clowns who simultaneously prove how judgemental they are while also proving they don't know anything about brewing, when they harass BMC drinkers for drinking "bad beer".

Beer Geek: Passionate about beer, but not judgmental. Will admit they don't know everything, yet always want to know more. These are the kinds who may not LIKE drinking BMC beers, but know enough about brewing to respect the technical perfection of the macro beers.

Up Next: English Summer Ale, Best Bitter, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
Primary: Pale Mild
Secondary: Sour Stout, Wild (Infected) Bitter
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone, ESB, Dark Mild
Bottle "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Imperial Red, Tripel, Quadrupel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

People Like This 
Old 02-14-2014, 10:44 PM   #10
LawnMower
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindenMan View Post
I like this, I think it is a pretty short, succinct definition. Interesting what different people think of the two...

Quick Reply