HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer Garden: not the traditional term!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 02:52 AM   #1
libertyman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beer Garden: not the traditional term!

Ok, so I have heard that grains are getting very expensive. I figured i might try my luck at growing a few this summer. Any thaughts on what to grow? What is easiest? What grains are the most expensive to purchase. I live in Washinton State if location is a big deal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 03:06 AM   #2
Fingers

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

The grains have to be malted before they're any good for brewing. Malting is a long and complicated process. Do a quick search and you'll find a thread that's active right now that describes the process.

Here you go:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=61712

Old 04-08-2008, 03:23 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 123 Posts

I don't know exactly what part of Washington you live in, but malting barley is generally planted in the winter in my area (Western OR). Yields run around 1500 pounds per acre, assuming the spring rains don't flatten the stalks. You'll need about 300 sq. ft. for the typical 5 gallon batch. Figure 3 acres, if you have two adults in the house.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply