Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer Fridge Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
bennyd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Beer Fridge Question

A while back I took an old fridge from my dad's place and cleaned it up (thoroughly) to use as a beer fridge in my basement. While I've been waiting for my first two batches to be ready I've put a couple of cases of Miller Light in the fridge. (go ahead and insert joke here)

What I've noticed is that after being in the fridge for about a day, the beer really tastes bad. (I know some think that Miller Light tastes bad anyway, but this is different)

The cans are not hard like they are all the way carbed. There is a little give to them after being in this fridge and the beer tastes like it is going flat or is oxidized or something. It has that cardboard taste.

Can a fridge do this? Is it too cold? I don't think that would be the problem. I cleaned it thoroughly with a bleach solution as there was mold all over the inside of the fridge and freezer.

This has happened on two different occasions. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Just seems like a waste of beer to me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
ardentfrost
Recipes 

I think I'd try with a different beer before I started blaming the fridge.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2033 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1115

Hard to imagine that anything untowards is happening to the beer inside the cans. The cans themselves may be picking up some mildew aroma, which might be affecting the taste if you are drinking from the can.

Quick Reply