Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer/food in SLC?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
AggieChemDoc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Beer/food in SLC?

I'm travelling to the hometown of the brotherhood of the funny underwear on Friday. I see there are a couple of brewpubs, but the state has a wonky 3.2% cap? How's that work out with the brewpubs?

Any locals want to give me the scoop on good places to eat and drink in Salt Lake City?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

3.2 cap is only for beer bought at the grocery store. They also don't sell wine or liquor anywhere but in state run liquor stores. other than that all bars are able to sell higher abv beers. If you want to try a good bar, the bayou has TONS of beers on tap, world renowned stuff form belgium, france, germany, england etc. as well as US beers, and local Utah brews. Dinner wise, squatters is pretty good and a local brewpub, or if you want to try more for something non brew pub like, then there are a ton of different places to eat downtown, all on or around 3rd south and the downtown area. If not, it really depends a LOT on the kind of food you want.

I also like to drink at The Piper Down on like 1300 or 1400 south and State st. They ahve good pub snack food, I especially like their 'Irish Nachos' which are potato slices w/ jalapenos, cheese etc, really yummy.

pm me if you want more detailed info on specifics. (BTW the bayou is owned by the biggest homebrew store here in SLC)

Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!

Old 05-17-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6037 Times on 5280 Posts
Likes Given: 688

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieChemDoc View Post

Any locals want to give me the scoop on good places to eat and drink in Salt Lake City?
I was there at the end of April for a week and had a great time at:

1) The Beer Hive (awesome selection of both draft and bottled beer - I mean really awesome)

2) Redrock Brewing Company (decent draft micro brew, great food - for a brewery)

3) Squatters Brewery (good beer selection - both draft and bottled, good food)

And, all three are within walking distance of the Temple

Old 05-17-2010, 10:50 PM   #4
maxamuus
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 34

+1 The Bayou, Actually all the places mentioned so far are pretty good.

If you are in the burbs had lunch here http://www.hoppersbrewpub.com/ last week and was a dang good burger and beers are made on-site and i thought they we quite good. Reasonablly priced too.

Hope you enjoy your stay behind the Zion Curtain.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:08 AM   #5
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 92

The Canyon Inn at the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon. Fasten your seatbelt.

"...Careful, man...there's a beverage here!..."

Old 05-18-2010, 12:40 AM   #6
AggieChemDoc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'm flying in and sans rent-a-car, but I can taxi to any spots worthwhile. I'm stuck downtown in and around the conference center.

PS, no offense intended to any mormons... not that you should be reading a homebrew site anyway, eh?

One of my best friends from high school is of that persuation and I haven't seen him in 15 years. Looking forward to catching up with him this weekend.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:58 AM   #7
nebben
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I like the Bayou, their sweet potato fries and chipolte dip is good. I enjoy Red Rock Brew-pub a little more, since they make their own beer there...it just makes me feel more comfy.

Even better than that, I like the Bohemian, way down in Sandy (or is it Midvale?). Very good beer and decent German food.

Porcupine Grille, at the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon and Hoppers are good too.

.....And it should be noted that Utah's "3.2%" beer is 3.2% alcohol by weight. We [homebrewers], and almost everyone else in the beer drinking world measure alcohol in beer by volume. Beer in some other state with 5.2% on a label sounds pretty cool, and for making fun of less-alcoholy beer, 4.0 isn't as much fun to make fun of and since 3.2% is a lower number, it sticks.

Our grocery store (and on draft) beer is 4.0% ABV, which equates to 3.2% by weight. 4.0 is the number to compare to most other states' beer.

Last edited by nebben; 05-18-2010 at 04:03 AM.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:03 AM   #8
BrewsterT
Recipes 

Just remeber, the beer hear is measured by weight, not volume. So 3.85 by weight equals 4.0% by volume. Still not that great but not as bad as it sounds. Just had to represent the home town.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:07 AM   #9
shamrockdoc
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

theres a brewpub in the airport that has a beer called polygamy porter its good too!

KEGGED: MK Ultra Cascadian Dark Ale, 10 & Everett Wit

If you're in trouble, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....Then maybe you can hire.... THE A TEAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I certainly hope they won't give me a hand job to see if I have a bomb tied to my junk .

Quick Reply