Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer flavor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2009, 03:35 AM   #1
insnekamkze86
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Beer flavor

Hello there im in the middle of brewing a irish stout and its been 14 days now in the primary carboy and it tastes done so im going to rack it to another carboy tomorrow but was wondering before i rack it can i add some flavor to it like coco or something? Right now it tastes robust like a porter more than a stout, somewhere on the lines of roasted beans something similar what you get from a roasted barley.

I used a coopers irish stout extract kit along with 1lb of muntons dry dark malt and 2 pounds of cane sugar, and 3 table spoons of burton water salts. I like the flavor that i got from the beer just was wondering about adding other flavors as well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2009, 03:37 AM   #2
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You can, but I wouldn't. Some of the "roasty" flavor will settle out and some sweetness should come in more with time. Keep your first brews simple, then you can look into adding stuff into secondary.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:05 AM   #3
twistedbrew
Recipes 

I agree, unless you planned to make your brew with flavor, its no good putting it in at the end especially if you are happy with what you have brewed so far.

I read an interesting article about brewing beer with honey, which could be up your alley - How To Brew Beer Using Honey | How To Brew Beer At Home

Old 09-14-2009, 11:50 PM   #4
insnekamkze86
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

okay thanks guys i wont add it i was just curious though next time if i want it i add the flavor that i want when i start making the brew.

Quick Reply