Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer Filters, Do you use one?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2009, 06:37 PM   #31
phillc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
That is a pretty sweet deal...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2009, 07:54 PM   #32
cjmcfoot
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillc View Post
I have been filtering all of my beers (especially the dry hopped ones) through a canister filter with a 3 micron element (nominal/cheap). It adds about $1.10 to each brew, but I have found it very worthwhile. Especially if you like to drag your kegs to parties, like I do. No worries about letting them settle. The first beer is ready to drink. I push from Corny to Corny with CO2 at about 5 psi through the filter. Recipient keg pre-purged. No worries about oxygenation.

I did a couple of before/after tests for how the filter affected the taste/color. The only difference I found is that the beers tasted a little cleaner and crisper, which I really like. I think that may be from the yeast removal.

So, contrary to most of the posts here, I love filtering my beer!
I guess I should back up a little, this is the primary reason I OP'd and started this thread. I have been asked by my place of employment to brew some seasonal winter brew for our brewfest. This requires me to transport my kegs and kegerator but I was worried about stirring up the sediment during transport.
So Phill you just transfer between two cornies under about 5psi with the filter in between? Interesting, I like it, perhaps I will give it a go, and see what happens.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #33
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Unless your beer is already carbed to say 2.5 volumes via 12 psi or something. If so, you want to pressurize BOTH kegs to 12psi, then vent the "to" keg just enough to make it flow. It's the only way you're going to keep it carbed.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 10-19-2009, 08:01 PM   #34
KCWortHog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

if you want more info... I got a lot of information on the pros/cons and how-tos (as well as cartridge vs. plate filter info) from this brew strong session: http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/516

Old 10-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #35
phillc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Unless your beer is already carbed to say 2.5 volumes via 12 psi or something. If so, you want to pressurize BOTH kegs to 12psi, then vent the "to" keg just enough to make it flow. It's the only way you're going to keep it carbed.
Correct, as usual. You will need to keep a pressurized environment in place if you wish to maintain carbonation when filtering an already carbed beer. When I did it, I had an extra day between filtering and serving, so I just brought the carbonation levels back up.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #36
phillc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmcfoot View Post
I guess I should back up a little, this is the primary reason I OP'd and started this thread. I have been asked by my place of employment to brew some seasonal winter brew for our brewfest. This requires me to transport my kegs and kegerator but I was worried about stirring up the sediment during transport.
So Phill you just transfer between two cornies under about 5psi with the filter in between? Interesting, I like it, perhaps I will give it a go, and see what happens.
You got it. Good luck!

Old 10-19-2009, 09:26 PM   #37
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I know someone already said it, but I would like to reiterate. If you have beer in a corny and you want to move it, you can just transfer it to a purged empty keg and leave 95%+ of the sediment behind. You don't even need a filter to do so. You just make an out/out jumper and push the beer slowly into the empty keg. At the very end, the sediment will start to get pushed and you simply disconnect it from the keg. Using about 6 feet of line gives you more than enough time to pull it off before any major sediment gets through.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #38
PackerfaninSanDiego
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm looking for a way to have no sediment at the bottom of my bottles. Could I filter before it goes into carboy by placing a filter into a funnel, that is connected to my 3/8" tubing before it goes into the carboy?
And what sanitation precautions should I take? Just soak funnel and filter in Star-Sans?

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Old 11-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #39
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Kegging is supposed to work pretty well for this, and from what I've read of the cost and PITA of filtering, I'd do that. But since I don't mind the sediment, I do neither.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #40
Jdk261
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

The new BYO covers filtering options. It's a pretty decent read.

Quick Reply