Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer fermenting in Bottle or what?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 05:56 AM   #11
socencounter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbiLynn
Is that from the first half of the batch you bottled or the second half? That second half was infected. You should have probably waited to see if you could get it cleared up before bottling. Did you just suck from the bottom of the infected second half and bottle it? Just curious, I'm here to learn too.
I bottled only first half and prior to bottling the beer was clear as ever! And the white mold is visible only in clear bottles and not in brown bottles which could also be due to the priming sugar I directly added to the bottles.

As for the second half of the batch, since I ran out of bottles I slipped the air lock back on. 5 days later the beer was coated with pellicin bacteria (white strands) which I believe could be due to the oxygen exposure during bottling while the protective layer of carbon dioxide escaped when I opened up the Carboy. Leaving the rest of the beer still in Carboy was a very stupid thing to do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 05:58 AM   #12
socencounter
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherM
Yeah, beer companies aren't stupid. If the beer is bottled in a clear/green/blue bottle, chances are they use hop extract that does not contain the sulpher compounds that cause skunking. No beer company is going to "forget" that beer skunks, or purposefully expose their beer to skunking.
Well this explains why most breweries and pharmaceutical companies stick with brown bottles

Old 01-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #13
MollyHatchet
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by socencounter
I bottled my "American Dark Ale" a week ago. There are some signs of "white stuff" stuck at the edge where the beer meets the glass as shown in image. When I shake the bottle, the stuff breaks into tiny particles. Is that yeast at the bottom of the bottle?

Any idea if the beer is fermenting at all or is it contaminated?

By the way, the beer was very clean when I bottled from secondary.
Unless I am missing something, I don't see any Grolsch gasket on your swing top. Is impossible that your beer is still fermenting in the bottle. I just don't see how the ceramic, or white plastic top would seal against the bottle. I think you still got fermentation going on.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #14
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyHatchet View Post
Unless I am missing something...
Yes, if you look close the gasket is white.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #15
MollyHatchet
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial
Yes, if you look close the gasket is white.
Thanks, I did miss that!

Old 04-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #16
socencounter
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default My beer is saved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbiLynn View Post
Is that from the first half of the batch you bottled or the second half? That second half was infected. You should have probably waited to see if you could get it cleared up before bottling. Did you just suck from the bottom of the infected second half and bottle it? Just curious, I'm here to learn too.
----- A MONTH AGO------
I added some honey to the second half (left over from bottling the first half, which was infected with pellicin in the carboy) and yet another safale dry yeast. It fermented for a day and showed no spores post addition of the yeast.

----- 2 WEEKS AGO -----------
I bottled the second half 2 weeks back (added priming sugar to the bottles individually).

----PRESENT DAY------
I finally cracked open 1 bottle after 2 weeks of bottle conditioning. The results are astounding. As you can see from the image, my beer has transformed from pellicle - to - undrinkably sour - to - delicious beer with a incredibly think head very similar to belgium beers. In fact the head was so thick I needed a spoon to show me the way

2.jpg

1.jpg

Old 04-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #17
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Another "Glad I didn't dump it" love story!

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Mango Habenero Berliner Weisse
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Oktoberfest
Keg #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Keg #3 - Pumpkin Ale
Bottled - NONE!

Old 04-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #18
matteroftaste
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey,
glad this beer is alive, enjoy the stress free drinking!

please forgive any colloquialisms....

socencounter Likes This 
Old 04-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #19
jrgroucho
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had a pumpkin ale I made last fall that developed the same pellicle. It developed after I added my spice tea. I thought it could be from the oils in the freshly ground spices. I racked from under it and it showed up in the bottles. After some reading, I figured it was white mold. I refrigerated it and drank quickly. It was really good and had a nice thick head like in your pictures. I wish I had saved some because the last bottles I drank were really starting to age well. By the way, I cleaned all me equipment really well and haven't had it return. I did replace my tubing, but I was overdue on that anyway.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #20
socencounter
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgroucho View Post
I had a pumpkin ale I made last fall that developed the same pellicle. It developed after I added my spice tea. I thought it could be from the oils in the freshly ground spices. I racked from under it and it showed up in the bottles. After some reading, I figured it was white mold. I refrigerated it and drank quickly. It was really good and had a nice thick head like in your pictures. I wish I had saved some because the last bottles I drank were really starting to age well. By the way, I cleaned all me equipment really well and haven't had it return. I did replace my tubing, but I was overdue on that anyway.
Then the old saying is true I guess, "Time heals everything", Even BEER

Quick Reply