Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer fermented too hot - Fusel Alcohol Hangover

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default Beer fermented too hot - Fusel Alcohol Hangover

It was a nice belgian dubbel and I was so proud, then I put it in the carboy and pitched an ample amount of yeast. Then I left it all alone, and not in the good- temperature controlled- part of town. Fermentation was done really fast, about two days. It fermented early in the summer when it was super hot in Pennsylvania, before I had a dedicated temp controlled area. I thought sure it might taste a bit hot now but give it time and it will be a great beer.

No, last night I had a few and the hangover was biblical. I was not drunk, I was not sick beforehand. Clearly the fusel content is way too high.

I don't think there is any aging this out to save it. Might have to dump the keg.

My 6 Tap Long Draw Tower Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/long...-tower-271578/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
phoenixs4r
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I must be lucky.... I've had an red ale and a pumkin ale that fermented at 90+ and tasted fine.

Sorry to hear about that.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

It tastes okay, pretty good really but after two beers I should not be getting a wicked hangover. I have tried this a couple times just to make sure.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
rgontasz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

How long ago did you brew it sometimes it need a few months (or even a year or so) to mellow out. However, my first beer was a brown ale that fermented at about 85 and tasted like banana bread! A year and a half later I still had 6 left that still tasted like banana, but it was much better than before! Time heals most wounds!

Old 10-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 682 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 173

From a wiki:

Health effects

There is a popular belief that fusel alcohol contributes to hangover symptoms. One study indicated that fusel alcohol has no more significant undesirable health effects (headache, nausea, etc.) than ethanol, the primary active ingredient in all alcoholic beverages.[2] This study involved an animal model of hangover, and its significance in humans is unclear.[citation needed]

I suspect it was something besides, or in addition to, the beer. 2 beers shouldn't do that even with fusel alcohol.

Maybe transfer to bottles and open one every month or so...

Old 10-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
From a wiki:

Health effects

There is a popular belief that fusel alcohol contributes to hangover symptoms. One study indicated that fusel alcohol has no more significant undesirable health effects (headache, nausea, etc.) than ethanol, the primary active ingredient in all alcoholic beverages.[2] This study involved an animal model of hangover, and its significance in humans is unclear.[citation needed]

I suspect it was something besides, or in addition to, the beer. 2 beers shouldn't do that even with fusel alcohol.

Maybe transfer to bottles and open one every month or so...
I have enouhg kegs that I might just put the keg in a dark corner and forget about it for a year or two.

Quick Reply