HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer Drinking Culture

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2005, 01:23 PM   #11
hogenmogen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
In Germany:

Ceramic Mug (without a pewter lip/top): Lay it over on its side for a refill.

Ceramic Mug (with a pewter lip/top): Closed means you're OK. Open means a refill. If you look like you don't know what you're doing and leave it open they will check and correct your "gasthaus etiquette".

Other than that they can read the "glasses" from across the room and don't bother you like American servers do.

The glasses have markings on the side (near the top) that indicate how much beer is supposed to be in the glass - it's a law. If you get one that is below the line you can send it back to be filled.
Oh, that's good. Those clever Germans. Some friends once tried laying our glasses on the side because the bartender was not very interested in us and way too interested in the hottie at the end of the bar. He noticed that the glasses were empty becasue they were on their side, but generally just got annoyed about it.

I can't tell you how many times I tried to get a bartender to fill my mug or pitcher all the way, instead of leaving it half head because they don't know how to pull a draft. A full 100% of the time, they've just looked at me like I just landed from Mars, instead of "Geez, I guess I did give you too much foam. I'll top it off for you right away, Sir!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2005, 08:34 PM   #12
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Wow...I totally missed this thread until now.....cool info about Germany that I didn't know....

The only thing I'll add is when I was in Germany the servers wouldn't give you the time of day if you didn't order it in Duetsch. Ein bier bitte!!! Make sure you hold up your thumb only, because if you hold up your index finger (like we'd do in the states) as in one (1), you're getting two beers. Thumbs up over there means one I guess.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 03-10-2005, 12:27 AM   #13
rightwingnut

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Index finger it is, then!

Old 03-10-2005, 01:14 PM   #14
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes, your thumb is 1 and your index finger is 2.

For a reorder you would say "Noch zwei" (knock - tsv-eye, or another 2).

Quick Reply