Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > "This beer doesn't fit a style"- crazy beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2009, 05:03 AM   #21
McKBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayaBrew View Post
This is sort of boring, but I use lager yeast a lot when brewing ales in the winter here in Northern New York. I let them ferment in a room closed off from the rest of the cabin that stays at 45F-50F. I've brewed some tasty "Steam" IPAs and APSs this way. A good friend of mine brewed a Stout with lager yeast. Anyone else do this?
Great Idea, thanks for giving me something else to try.

Make Beer, Not War.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2009, 06:40 PM   #22
TheH2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have not yet really merged styled, but BYO had a good article on beer fusions that can be read online. The Bruery did a Tripel with rice (instead of sugar) and basil which was great. Not really beer fusion but certainly something that was different that worked really well.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:53 PM   #23
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyShamrock View Post
Have you ever just thrown the recipe guidelines out the window and made something totally ridiculous? Was it good or bad?
All the time. That's how I brew, for the most part. Rarely do I brew anything that would score higher than the low thirties in a competition because it just doesn't fit the style in some way or another. Brewing in the space around the guidelines satisfies my creative urges and keeps me excited about brewing. If I felt some requirement to brew only to style, I would have given it up years and years ago.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Quick Reply