Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > "This beer doesn't fit a style"- crazy beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2009, 05:56 PM   #11
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

Stiffy probably qualifies, "The bastard offspring of a Wee Heavy and Left Coast IPA." I admit it was formulated by my former brewing buddy.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2009, 06:00 PM   #12
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The american wheat I brewed from my 312 discussion thread turned out like nothing I have ever had before. It was an awesome beer that was neither an Am. wheat nor a German, nor a wit. It was great though with a huge bready wheat backbone and a crisp finish and a punch of citrus US hops.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:02 PM   #13
SmugMug
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerkrump View Post
Peach weizen would be great. Long ago (20 years?) I made an apricot weiss that was scary good. I don't remember if I had any real issues with the sweetness that Capt. noted. I think it was just 1 lb./gal. in the secondary for two weeks. Let us know how it turns out and post your recipe.

As for the weird experiment beers, I am planning a test to see what fruits go best with a simple pale ale. I'm collecting 1 gallon bottles and going to parse a five gallon batch from the primary and add different fruits to each bottle. So far, the fruits are blueberry, blackberry, pineapple, lemon/lime/orange zest, and, if I can find some ripe ones, mango. I think I'll add peach and see what else looks good in the supermarket.

I'll start a thread when I get this going and keep y'all posted.
Will do. Might be a while though since I have my Alaskan Amber on deck for the next brew day. Sadly, I only have the one fermenter and a SWMBO that can be a little restrictive of excessive non-family activities. Which is understandable. But I did have a ripe peach for breakfast this morning and it wasn't super sweet. Not all that concerned about the excessive sugars, I have a feeling that most of them will ferment out and I'll be left with a great peachy "nose". Which is exactly what I'm aiming for. I may backsweeten it with a little splenda just for experimental sake.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Poor planning on your part doesn't necessitate an emergency on mine.

Beer: Is there anything it can't do?

Old 06-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #14
Jon_Smith
Recipes 

As far as the peach beer goes, let us know how it turns out! I read that peaches tend to not flavor as well as apricots in beer (i.e., flavor doesn't last long and not as strong)...think it was in "designing great beers". I have some peach trees and was really hoping to make a peach beer or two this fall but didn't want to use them for beer if the flavor will go diminish quickly.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:09 AM   #15
Benjibbad
Recipes 

With the pepper beer festival and some co workers egging me on I decided to embark on a pepper wheat recipe I've been fidleing with called a "Prarie Fire" Wheat. Here is the recipe for a 5gal batch:

4Lbs Pale 2 row
2lbs white wheat malt
2lbs flaked wheat

1 oz Cascade (60 min boil)

2lbs Blue Agave Nectar (20 min boil)
5 oz Crushed chili pepper (secondary)
Pitch with Wyeast 1010 American Wheat

Old 06-03-2009, 01:31 AM   #16
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm working on the recipe for a chocolate wheat using cocoa nibs in the mash.

Other than that, I've had a commercial black IPA that I really liked, even though the name irks me. But I guess there is no India Dark Ale style yet.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:56 AM   #17
Killinger
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

One of my earliest brews started as a Stone Ruination clone recipe. I used Trappist yeast and threw oak in the secondary. It may not be all that odd, but my ever so helpful and supportive LHBS guy rolled his eyes, and sighed disapprovingly, "Whatever."

It was fan-friggin-tastic. After 20-something more batches under my belt, it's still one of my favorites.

DHK

"I'm Dr. Henry Killinger, and this is my magic murder bag."

Old 06-03-2009, 02:57 AM   #18
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Rosemary belgian pale, schezuan peppercorn wit, Belgian stout... Nothing too crazy.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:59 AM   #19
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 17 Posts

Mint Chocolate Stout.

What's tappening? :D

Old 06-03-2009, 04:41 AM   #20
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 96

This is sort of boring, but I use lager yeast a lot when brewing ales in the winter here in Northern New York. I let them ferment in a room closed off from the rest of the cabin that stays at 45F-50F. I've brewed some tasty "Steam" IPAs and APSs this way. A good friend of mine brewed a Stout with lager yeast. Anyone else do this?

"...Careful, man...there's a beverage here!..."

Quick Reply